Chapter 23

George turned and started walking away, but Clay obviously wasn't having it. Long thick fingers wrapped around his wrist, pulling his wrist up, focring George to look at him.

     George felt so guilty.

     Clay looked so sad. He looked broken, desperate even. "Please," Tumbled out of his lips, "Please just talk to me. I'm sorry, we don't have to like-- I don't know. But please don't ignore me." Clay bit his lower lip, lowering George's arm then letting it go.

     "I.. Uh.." George glanced away from Clay. He couldn't stand to look at him as his lower lip started tremblig. He'd never seen him so broken, and no matter how much it feels like he should feel victorious, he just feels like shit.

     His token enemy.

     What has George done?

     "We can pretend like it didn't happen. I'm sorry." Clay barely whispered, looking at George. "I just-- Want to know, I guess. Did you regret it? I'm sorry. I shouldn't have pushed it. I--"

     "Clay." George said softly, "I don't regret anything. I'm sorry if you felt that way. I just--" George hesitated for a moment, "Don't.. Think I'm.. Ready for a relationship. I guess."

     "Oh." Clay's face fell, then he smiled, a wet tear falling out of his eye. He laughed quietly, more tears falling from his eyes. George's face fell, he frowned.

     "Why are you laughing?" George asked, his hand coming up to rest on Clay's cheek. He shook his head, a smile on his face still.

     "Nothing. I'm just stupid, I guess. It's nothing, we don't have to talk about it." He continued laughing, more tears just spilling out of his eyes. George still frowned. "Remember when I used to make fun of you? 'Gay George', thats what I called you. Look at us now." He laughed.

     "Hey," Clay said softly, his smile still there. His hand came up to George's, slowly taking it off of his cheek. "Don't let me ruin your lunch. Go hang out with your friends."

     "But--"

     "Nah. I'll be fine." He took a deep breath with a hitch, wiping his eyes, yet more tears just spilled. "Go hang out with you and your loser group." He said, pushing George's back, who sighed and nodded.

     "See 'ya, Clay." He almost took a step forward, but hesitated. "And for the record," He sighed, "I do, really like you. Just wait for me please."

     "As long as its you, George."

•»

     Tonight, Friday night, 8:00 PM, was Clay's party. His biggest party, thats what it was gonna be. It was his last year in highschool, so fuck it, right? Exactly.

     He was planning on getting drunk out of his mind. He wasn't planning for this night to be one to remember, especially after the stupid library talk. The smile on his face when he saw just all the alcohol his shit mom left in the basement was huge.

     Clay heard his front door open, Finally. He got off of his couch in the basement, jogging up the stairs to greet none other than Sapnap. "Yo."

     "Hey Nick, looking good." He smirked at Nicks duck onsie-costume. "Got the fire-stuff?" Clay asked, tucking his phone in his pocket.

     "Thanks. Yup."

     "S'mores stuff?"

     "Just like you asked."

     "Newspapers?"