Chapter Eight

Note: Italicized texts are flashbacks.

Yoonhee was walking through the hall of the apartment they are staying at when she noticed some movers enter the unit next to theirs. The landlady might've found someone to occupy it, she thought.

"Yoonhee-ssi!" She heard a voice from behind so she turn around to face who it was. It was the landlady. 

"Oh, hello mam." She greeted her politely as she bow her head down to show respect.

"It looks like we're going to have a new neighbor." She commented.

"He's a single dad, who knows maybe she can be Rona's new dad." The landlady jested. Yoonhee just smiled awkwardly, the other woman makes unsolicited comments every now and then but she's kind.

"There he is!" The landlady pointed, the redhead looks at the direction she was pointing at and squinted. She can't see the face of the figure approaching because they were carrying a big box.

"Mr. Ha! That must be so heavy." The landlady commented as the man carrying the box stopped in front of them. Yoonhee widened her eyes at the mention of the name. The man finally put the box down and smiled at the landlady.

"It's not that heavy, I wanted to help the movers." He said. When he turn to look at the woman beside the landlady, his breath caught in his throat. 

"Y-Yoonhee?" He stuttered, not believing what he's seeing in front of him.

"You two know each other?" The landlady asked them both. Yoonchul was too stunned to answer her so the redhead did.

"Yes, we were neighbors." 

"We really live in a small world, who knew you'd be neighbors again." The landlady commented.

Yoonhee sighed and looked at Yoonchul who was still staring at her like he has seen a ghost. She wished the world was bigger.

"Dad..." The two adults turn around to see Eunbyeol approaching them, carrying a box. She stopped when she noticed the red haired woman. 

"H-hello Ms. Oh." She said nervously as she bowed down. She immediately hid behind her father.

"Hello Eunbyeol." Yoonhee said carefully, trying not to scare the younger girl who was clearly in distraught.

"Eunbyeol, you can go inside first." Yoonchul told his daughter, giving her a reassuring smile.

The young girl obeyed her father and got inside their unit. Yoonchul faced Yoonhee again and scratched the back of his head before he speak.

"Yoonhee... I'm sorry we have to meet like this, if you're not comfortable with us being here we can move." He said apologetically.

"I'm not uncomfortable, besides who am I to complain about you being here. We're all just tenants here." The redhead said nonchalantly.

"How is Rona?" Yoonchul said carefully, trying to see if he can discuss that topic to the redhead.

"She's doing fine." Her respond was short, she isn't comfortable talking about Rona with him now that he knows the truth.

"How is Eunbyeol?" She asked curiously. The last thing she heard was the kid was in a juvenile facility.

"She's doing better..." Yoonchul started.

"I hope you can forgive her, it's our fault... I'm really so-"

"Stop apologizing already, let's put all of it behind us. I can see the two of you are trying to start a new life, and that's what Rona and I are trying to do as well. We've all been through so much because of our mistakes, but we already paid enough for it don't you think?"