Chapter 15

It's been days since that day, and both Lina and (Y/N) noticed how distant Val was getting. Today though, they needed to work together because Red Hood already messaged them where to meet up through a note outside their warehouse. It was clear that he already had his hands on the Joker.

The trio began to prepare after sending the confused goons back home early once again. (Y/N) walked out of her room, seeing Val sitting on the recently bought couch in isolation. For the past days, he had to sleep outside since his room was blown up. She gained the courage to talk to confront him,

"Are you... angry at me?"

He blinked out of his trance and met her eyes with his eyebrows raised, "What? No, not at all! I'm just... I think... I'm disappointed in myself" he weakly exhaled. "I'm just... confused as to what I am or who I want to be"

"I see. I get it. We're about to be free from the clown and we can be whoever we want. We're like free from slavery" she gave an awkward soft chuckle. She sat next to him, "Who do you want to be?"

"I don't know. But, I do know I'd like to stick with you and Lina"

"Same here" Another voice chimed in. "Sorry, I overheard a little" Lina let her arm wrap around Val's neck and rest on his shoulders, "We'll all start new lives together. We can be agents helping people. We can be skilled robbers taking money from banks. We can even be the biggest rivals Batman has ever faced!" She raised her hand up, imagining all that. "Nevertheless, I want to do it all as long as we're together"

(Y/N) took in all their words. Honestly, she also wanted the same thing. She's never had a group of friends that were around her age, and these were her first. Of course she wanted to stay with them. But to be Batman's rivals? Pehaps not. 

"Let's do it" she smiled.

Valc clicked his tongue, worry starting to creep on him, "I don't know though... what if-"

"Sir, no what-ifs" Lina interrupted him by poking his cheek. "Stop thinking negatively"

She kept poking him. "Argh- argh- okay- alright, stop" Val kept trying to make her stop, even though it was useless. "Lina!"

(Y/N) joined in and maliciously poked his other cheek, "Negativity get out"

"Guys- or girls, geez- come on"

The three of them laughed as Val never gave up in his attempts to push them off.

BANG BANG BANG

The entrance to the warehouse suddenly shook as someone kept banging on the door. They broke apart and just as Lina was making her way to the door, Val stopped her so he could do it. Who knows who was on the other side of the door.

 When he opened it, to their surprise, they all saw Harley in tears.

"Mister J was caught! We have to save him! Help me find him, he must be so afraid..." she sniffled over and over.

"You really think he's afraid?" Lina gave her a weird look.

"Of course not!" Harley yelled, her frown soon turning into a innocent smile.

None of them believed what they were seeing. Should they help her?

"Ohh!" Val chimed in and cleared his throat, "Well you see... we already have a plan for that‐ or I mean I came up with one right now" He beckoned her to come in as Lina and (Y/N) exchanged looks, wondering what plan he was referring to. Harley trudged inside as Val continued to lie while closing the door behind her. Before taking ten more steps in, she was instantly knocked out. He caught her after giving her a blow to the neck.