Chapter 1

Hey everyone! This is the first time I've written a story that's not fanfiction. But I've put my heart and soul into writing this and I know that you'll absolutely love reading it because I love everything I've put into it.

I absolutely adore the characters and I've laughed and I've cried with them and I hope that you will go through the same feelings I did while writing it all. Let me know! Happy reading!️😁

------------------------------------------------------------

She left the ballroom hurriedly as she tried to control her tears. A lot of her mascara had already started blotting.

Cliche. She thought once she was out and looked at herself. Dressed in a body-hugging off-shoulder red dress with a slit starting mid-thigh to show off her legs, here she was in a golden costume mask crying her eyes out like a beautiful but weak damsel in distress.

She wasn't as sad as she was angry. She was steaming as tears of helplessness streaked down her face. She wanted to become invisible. She didn't want anyone to see her like this.

She walked to the back of the ballroom to the courtyard which was interspersed with a few trees and was seemingly isolated. There was a wide bench at its center. She sat down on it and removed her heels. They were killing her.

"I can't believe it! I just can't!" She spoke to herself in anger. "If it were up to me, I would have taken a bottle of champagne and broken it on his head!" She huffed.

"And I'm sure he deserved it." Observed a voice from behind her.

She was startled by the voice and turned around to see a man coming out from behind the trees with a glass of champagne in his hand. Tall and sturdy, he too was wearing a mask as was the custom in such functions. Only he wore a black mask unlike her's which was golden, though it went well with his black suit, white shirt, and bow.

Her guard went up immediately as did her etiquette appropriate of a lady at such functions. She slipped her feet back into her heels as she replied.

"I must apologize. I thought this courtyard was empty and forgot my manners."

"Oh no. Please don't apologize. This was probably the only interesting thing that has happened at this function since it began. Here's to you." He says the last part raising his glass as a toast to her.

She laughed politely as would be appropriate for a lady at this function. "It is quite tiresome, isn't it?"

"I don't think tiresome covers it," he says emphatically as he moves to sit beside her on the bench. "May I?" He asks.

"Of course" she replies as she moves to make a place for him.

"But now I am curious. Who has done what to deserve a bottle of champagne broken on his head?" He asks curiously.

She can hear his amusement.

"Sir, I don't think it will be appropriate of me to talk ill of the important people that are invited to this event. I am merely accompanying one such person."

"Oh yes. Of course. It would not do well for you to spoil someone's name especially if they have the influence to completely destroy yours." He shrugs.

She smiles politely.

"I'm sure even you yourself are one such important person, sir. I am a bit surprised that you should find the event boring. Isn't it customary for people such as yourself to regularly attend such events?"

"The only reason I attend them, dear is because they are customary. I would rather be anywhere else than smile and make polite conversation with people who don't care anymore for me than I do for them."