Chapter 8

Hey you guys! Once again thank you for all the reads, votes and comments. You guys are the best.❤️❤️

The journey continues!! It's all so beautiful for Jane and Edmond! I hope it gets better as it progresses.
Happy reading!😁❤️
--------------------------------------------------------------

Jane approached the garden gate an hour later than their usual time. She had told Edmond that she would be late today. She couldn't believe that another week had already gone by since she had danced with Edmond and then replayed that evening everyday since in her mind.

She entered the courtyard to see Edmond waiting for her on their usual bench at the centre of the courtyard.

"Been a while since we've been here huh?" She commented as she approached him.

"Yeah. That's true" he replied. He sounded low.

"Edmond what's wrong?" She asked concerned as she took a seat next to him.

He shrugged, "It's nothing. It's nothing. Don't worry."

She raised her eyebrows at him. "Edmond seriously! You're scaring me. What happened?"

He shrugged again, "Just tired, I guess."

She wasn't entirely convinced but decided to let it go. Maybe his energy would come back later in the evening.

"Alright." She said changing the subject. "So the ball last week was fun, huh?" She said brightly.

"Sure. Yeah." He nodded with the same low energy.

She was disappointed. Did it mean more to her than it did to him?

"Did you not enjoy it?" She pressed again.

"I did. I did." He replied with a half smile. "It was nice."

"It was nice?" She repeated sarcastically.

He missed the sarcasm so he simply nodded.

She huffed. He either tells her what's wrong or he doesn't. This is outrageous.

"Edmond, this is annoying, alright? Would you please just drop the act and tell me what's going on??"

"It's nothing Jane! Can you just drop it?" He raised his voice.

She fell silent immediately.

He was clearly upset about something but he was wasn't planning on telling her.

"Fine." She huffed as she leaned her back on the bench and closed her eyes.

They stayed that way for a while. She could hear him breathing heavily next to her.

"I'm sorry" he mumbled eventually sitting up. "I just can't.....I can't tell you."

She opened her eyes and turned to face him. "Edmond, what can you possibly have to say that you can't tell me?" She asked soothingly this time. 

He shook his head. "It won't be right to say."

She frowned at him, confused.

"You can tell me." She persuaded him gently again.

He half smiled but didn't speak.

"What you kill someone?" She asked softly trying to lighten the mood.

He chuckled softly but shook his head.

"Look Edmond." She took his hand into hers just like he had done in the car not so many days back and rubbed the back of it with her thumb. "You trust me right?"