Chapter 13

Hey you guys! Things between Edmond and Jane have gotten quite tense recently. Don't you think? I wonder how long they're gonna keep this up! I hope things end well for them and for you my dear patient, lovely and supportive readers.

Happy reading!😁❤️
-----------------------------------------------------------

Cole had already arrived at the courtyard and was waiting patiently for Jane. He knew her real name now, but she was still Jane to him. Sera sounded so musical but still foreign, Jane felt like home.

He knew there was a chance that she might not come at all. But he had done whatever he could to win her back and now all he could do was wait.

He knew that the last time they had spoken Jane was fuelled with anger and hurt. He didn't blame her. He should have given her more details, he should have contacted her. He should have been braver. But he was not capable of changing the past, he could only attempt to alter the present.

He hoped that by meeting her today in a place where they had a lot of memories together, she would find it in her heart to forgive him and trust him again and atleast their friendship would be restored. He would worry about the rest later.

He waited for what felt like ages as he went over all their memories together and relished each one. It was beginning to grow dark.

He should probably head back. If she hadn't come yet, she probably wouldn't come at all.

He got up to leave when he saw her enter through the courtyard gate, for the first time without her mask. She was chewing on her bottom lip nervously when her eyes met his.

She made her way towards him slowly, hesitantly even. "I don't think we've ever been in this place without a mask, have we?" She spoke up attempting to make small talk.

He smiled and shook his head. "New beginnings" he commented, but it sounded more like a question than a statement.

She nodded ever so slightly.

"Thank you for coming, Jane" he said sincerely.

She bit her lip. "The last time we spoke..I was angry. I missed you so much, you have no idea."

He nodded.

"I may have said some things I shouldn't have." She spoke without meeting his eyes. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay. I know." He said placing his hands hesitantly on her arms wondering if she would shrug them off. She didn't.

He took that as encouragement and stepped closer to her, rubbing her arms soothingly. "And I'm sorry too. I'm sorry for leaving you, Jane. I'm sorry I didn't tell you how long I'd be gone and I'm sorry I didn't find a way to contact you or stay in touch."

She nodded. "I am glad that you're back."

He smiled hopefully. "So you forgive me?"

She smiled sadly but shook her head. "Not that easily. No...But I'm trying." She said now meeting his gaze.

He was still grateful. "It's a start" he shrugged.

She bit her lip. "I thought it over during the week. It wasn't your fault that your company called you away on such short notice....even though you could have given me a few more details than you did or even contacted me.."

He nodded, "You're right. I should have."

She shrugged. "So bottom line I think I was being too hard on you. So I'm sorry.."

He smiled. "I thought it was justified."

She chuckled. "What are you saying? You want me to be all angry and cold and distant with you for some more time?"