Chapter 2

Hey y'all! Wonder what Jane Austen and Edmond Dantes are upto today..
Let's find out!😋

------------------------------------------------------------

The second week went by as quickly as it had come and it was already the evening for a woman we now call Jane Austen to meet up with a man we now call Edmond Dantes.

Jane was excited about this meet. There was a bounce in her step as she made her way to the familiar ballroom courtyard which, not unlike the last time she was here, was deserted. She was a bit nervous about being able to establish a rapport as easily as it had developed last time. She hoped that the meeting would be smooth and casual. Last time it was all of those things because it was unplanned. This time, it felt like she might be put on a spot.

While she was still a considerable distance from the courtyard, she took out her golden masquerade mask from her purse and put it on. A few odd people stared at her wondering what was wrong with her but they didn't bother her in the least. She had done many a questionable thing in the past that had caused her to receive such looks often.

She breathed deeply and walked confidently towards the gate, her purse swinging at her elbow, today wearing a pair of blue boyfriend jeans with a white t-shirt tucked into it, a broad belt, and heeled boots. That coupled with her golden mask. She enjoyed the contrast.

She pushed the small iron gate open. It creaked. She stepped in and called out hesitantly, testing the name, "Ed-mond?"

Silence.

She tried again a bit louder this time, "Edmond Dantes?".

Nothing.

Perhaps he wasn't here yet...or maybe he forgot...or maybe he ditched her.

She pushed aside those last two thoughts as she walked around the courtyard to take a peek behind each tree because that's where he had concealed himself last time. As she was still making her round, she suddenly felt something warm and heavy touch her shoulder.

"Aaahh" She jumped as she turned around and stamped a foot.

"OUCH! Woman, what did I do to you?"

She interpreted the voice she heard and the mask she saw and realized that she had stamped on the foot of 'Edmond Dantes'. So much for making the meeting smooth and casual.

"I'M SORRY!! I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorryyyy" She shrieked as she covered her mouth with her hands in shock.

She heard him suck in air through his teeth and then saw him clutching his foot. He was wearing shoes. Her eyes traveled up and she saw that he was wearing black jogging shorts, which ended a little above his knee, paired with a casual grey t-shirt. His black mask looked completely out of place with the outfit but she shook her head to focus on his foot again.

"Let me help you."

"Stay away from me woman" He cried childishly.

"Just let me look at it" she pleaded.

"Take out your boots."

"What?" she asked confused. "You looking for revenge?" she asks suspiciously.

"You wish! I just don't want to be jammed in the foot with your heeled boots again."

"Right. Right." She said awkwardly as she slipped off her boots and walked to him.

He was holding his foot in his hand but as soon as she was within reach, all pain seemed to have left him and he moved to step on her toes, an evil laugh emanating from his throat.