Javey- It's Really You?- Soulmate AU

AU- When they turn 22, everyone gets a link to their soulmate, but their soulmate doesn't get the link until they turn 22, too. The links can be anything: getting each other's injuries, a red string, seeing them in dreams, first words on their wrists, a nickname on their ankle, losing all colors until they see them, etc. 

Set in present day.

Also I know they're adults and everything in this, but I'm still calling them boys. Because 1. It's easier. And 2. They're 15 year olds at heart.

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jack Kelly snapped awake. He'd been having a great dream, and was very disappointed when his alarm clock went off.

'Wait a second.' He thought to himself. 'Today's my birthday! I'm finally 22!'

He glanced at the other bed in the room and threw a pillow at its sleeping occupant.

"Yo Crutchie!" He yelled. "Wake up and help your brother celebrate his birthday!"

The younger boy sat up immediately and turned to face Jack, smiling his usual, big, goofy grin. "Happy Birthday Jack! If you'd come over here I'd give you a hug!"

Jack bounded over and leapt onto the bed next to his brother, engulfing him in a hug. "I'm 22 Crutch! For real!"

"Yeah!" Laughed Crutchie. "Oooh, wonder when you'll meet your soooouuuuuulmate!"

"Shut up."

....,,,,;;;;::::;;;;,,,,....

A few hours later, both boys were dressed and in their living room, goofing off with their friends, the 'Newsies', as they had dubbed themselves, when the subject of soulmates came up.

"Still 21, unfortunately..." Sighed Mush.

"Aw, just give it another year," "Not too far off now." "Home stretch buddy."

"If it makes you feel any better, I'm 22 and my link still hasn't shown up yet." Sighed Race.

The boys patted his back and said some encouraging words. Then Davey piped up.

"Yeah, I don't have mine either, and I've been 22 for a few months."

"Well," Began Crutchie. "While we're on the subject..." Jack sent him a murderous glare. "It's Jack's 22nd birthday today."

"Ayyy!" "Any signs of your soulmate yet?" "Happy Birthday!"

"Thanks guys, and no, I haven't gotten any signs from my soulma-" Jack stopped, looking down at his left arm, on which the word 'Happy Birthday Jacky' were being written.

He stared at the words in astonishment, until it sunk in what they meant.

'My soulmate is someone I know.'

....,,,,;;;;::::;;;;,,,,....

Davey knew it was a little risky, sending a Happy Birthday to someone who may not be his soulmate, but he was about 99% sure it was Jack. After his birthday, he had started noticing paint splatters on his arms and little 'note to self's in Jack's handwriting on his left hand. His suspicions were confirmed when the other boy stopped to stare at his arm.

He did not take into account the Newsies, and how much they liked to stay in the loop about their friends. Once Romeo caught a glimpse of the words on Jack's arm, he alerted everyone else, which lead to all the Newsies in the room, except Davey, crowding around Jack trying to read his arm. While they did this, Jack slowly looked up, directly at Davey.

"Is it you?" He asked softly.

Davey tried to respond, but his voice wouldn't work, so he just nodded.

"Guys." Jack addressed the other boys. "Give us some time wouldja?"

The Newsies grudgingly agreed and left the room, Crutchie closing the door as he left.

Jack stood up and walked over to Davey, who also stood up, somewhat nervously.

Jack put his hands on Davey's shoulders, then took one off to lift up the Jacobs' chin.

"It's really you, Dave?" He whispered, searching the other's eyes with his own.

Davey just nodded.

"I want to hear you say it Davey."

He opened his mouth, and said hoarsely, "You're my soulmate Jack."

Jack paused for a moment before breaking out in a wide smile and wrapping his arms around Davey, burying his head in the other's neck.

Davey was shocked to say the least, but after a moment he hugged back.

"So," Started the older boy. "You're not mad?"

Jack pulled back, still smiling. "Mad? How could I be mad? The guy I've had a crush on since I was 15 turns out to be my soulmate and you expect me to be mad?"

"You... You liked me?"

"Davey." Jack put a hand on either side of the Davey's neck. "I love you. And I'm not just saying that because you're my soulmate. I've loved you for a long time now."

The Jacobs boy was having a hard time processing what Jack was saying, but once he did, there were tears in his eyes.

"I love you too, Jacky."

They both stood there, smiling and crying a bit, arms wrapped around each other, leaning in until their lips were almost touching.

"Can I kiss you Dave?" Jack breathed out.

"You don't need to ask permission."

And the gap closed.

It was slow, and gentle, and loving, and... perfect.

They drew away smiling, content with the world. 

Much shorter than the others, right? Didn't even hit 1,000 words. 

I'm going to make a couple more soulmate AUs. I love Sprace so that's gonna be one, but I kinda want to do one with one of the Delanceys and maybe Crutchie.