Sprace- Conlon? Part 2

Eight Years Before the Strike

"Mama!"

An eight year old boy burst into his house.

"Nonna!"

He raced to the kitchen, trying to find his family.

"In your Mama's room Antonio!" Came the frail voice of his grandmother.

The little boy sprinted into the guest room and jumped onto the bed, where his sickly mother layed.

"Mama! Ho un lavoro adesso! Vendo giorna-"

"English please, Antonio." His mother smiled. "I haven't spoken Italian for a long time."

"I have a job now!" He repeated. "Selling newspapers! When I make enough money we can buy you medicine! And you'll be healthy again!"

The two women felt their hearts melt.

"That's wonderful Antonio!" His grandmother congratulated.

His mother held his hand. "If you wash up and set the table, I think your Nonna made dinner." She said, like it was a big secret.

Antonio's eyes lit up with excitement and he practically flew out the door. "Yay!"

His mother watched him go and sighed. 

"I'm worried about him, Suocera. I don't have long left and it feels terrible to leave him and you, so suddenly." Her expression was pained and her voice, sad. "Especially when I haven't done anything to help support us after you were so kind to take us in."

"You have nothing to be sorry for, Figlia." The older woman reassured. "It has been a blessing to have you and Antonio with me. You two are the only reminders I have left of my son. You are family. And I will take care of you for as long as I can." She sighed heavily, brow furrowed. "But I don't have much time left either."

The two women exchanged a heavy glance before Antonio came running back into the room. "I set the table! Come on, let's eat!"

They laughed and headed to the kitchen. 

For a while, everything was good.

But the women were right, and soon Antonio was alone.

Well, until he met a dark-haired Newsie who called himself Jack Kelly.

%*%*%*%

One Year Before the Strike

Racetrack Higgins was awakened by the wonderful sound of Jack yelling at them to get up.

He groaned and sat up, looking around as his brothers, the Newsies, went about their morning routines.

Romeo was trying to style his wet hair, and failing, as usual.

Finch had his slingshot out and was firing marbles at Albert.

Specs was attempting to clean his glasses, only succeeding in making them dirtier.

Elmer was helping the littles tie their shoes and get ready.

Henry was still completely asleep.

Mike and Ike were wrestling for no reason.

Jojo was bouncing around the room, his constant energy supply fueling his excitement.

Buttons was quickly sewing up a tear in his vest.