Chapter 40

Chapter 40

I was combing my hair in front of the mirror when I heard a knock on my door. Ang aga-aga pa! Alas syete pa lang ng umaga!

Lakad-takbo akong lumapit sa pinto para buksan iyon. And when I opened the door, I saw my sisters- Faith holding a cup of coffee and a paper bag from starbucks and Love holding two cups of coffee.

"Good morning!" Love greeted energetically saka nauna pang pumasok sa unit ko.

After finishing med school, I moved out from our house. My parents purchased a one-bedroom condo for me as a gift after graduating from Med School. Pinili nila iyong condo na malapit lang sa ospital kung saan ako mag-i-internship.

"We brought breakfast," Faith said as she entered my condo. Pareho silang dumiretso ni Love sa kusina.

"Bilin ni Mommy sabayan ka daw namin for breakfast on your first day as a Medical Intern since wala sila," nakangiting sabi ni Love.

The past years had been a roller-coaster ride not just for me but for my sisters. Ang dami rin kasing nangyari na di namin inasahan. Love had her own struggles, even Faith. I didn't know they were going through something also. I was too focused on what happened to me that I forgot to ask how they are. But we already talked about it, and get over it. Hopefullly.

After the accident, Love lost her memories for a while. It was a retrograde amnesia where she cannot remember some of the events that happened before the accident. She had to go through medications and therapy to help recover her memories and for her to go back to her normal life. It affected me big time because I thought we lost her. After she woke up from the coma, I never left her side. That resulted to me taking a break from school for a year. Some would say I wasted that year, lalo na at huling taon ko na sana. But it didn't really matter to me that time. What mattered most was my sisters.

Faith managed to get back on track after what happened to Love. Hindi rin biro ang pinagdaanan niya. I saw her cry several times because of her studies. Pinanghinaan rin siya ng loob but I cheered for her. She graduated on time, and graduated as a Magna Cum Laude. She proceeded to Law School and as usual, she excelled. She also graduated on time and was a Cum Laude. She passed the BAR and was the Top 6 in their batch. I couldn't be any prouder to have a very smart sister.

When Love finally got better, she went back to School and I also decided to go back. Lio and Clarisse already graduated that time so all I had was myself, but it was okay. Kahit papaano ay masaya naman ako na nasa Med School na sila noon. And they never forgot about me. Up until now, we still hang out when we have the chance.

After graduating, Love started teaching while taking her Masters, while I started Med School. It was the same Med School where Lio and Clarisse studied. Medyo weird nga noong simula kasi seniors ko sila but we were able to adjust. Natutulungan pa nila ako kapag nahihirapan ako.

And then came clerkship. It was a bit exhausting but I enjoyed it. I had a glimpse of what it was like to become a doctor. Akala ko nga hindi ako makaka-graduate on time, but here I am, already a Medical Intern.

"Wala ba kayong mga trabaho?" I asked as I sat. Nagutom na rin ako dahil sa amoy ng dala nila. May inilabas pang tupperwares si Love mula sa tote bag na dala niya. Nakita ko iyong tapa na specialty ni Faith. Bigla na lang kasi siyang nag-aral magluto tapos tapa lang naman iyong masarap sa mga niluluto niya.

"Meron," Love replied. "Kaya nga we came early."

Nakaupo lang ako habang tinitingnan ang mga kapatid ko na ayusin iyong kakainin namin. Unang araw ko kasi as an Intern kaya kinakabahan ako. 'Nong clerkship ko kasi ay sakto ring doon nag-intern si Clarisse kaya kahit papaano ay may nakakasabay ako minsan. Eh kaso ngayon sa ibang ospital na ako.