Chapter 18

Amity's POV:

The four of us ran into the town past all the booths.

I hate the trouble they were trying to cause for the school, but that was... fun.

It was nice to just run around and not be perfect.

No wonder why Ed and Em like it so much.

Edric and Emira were still laughing while Luz had a content smile on her face.

It was close to sunset at this point. Apparently it took them awhile to find paint rope and a bucket, even though those are some of the easiest things to get in the Boiling Isles.

It's not like they had to find an ancient amulet or anything.

"Holy smokes! That was amazing!" Em was practically wheezing, catching a few consented glances from the people around us.

"Yeah it was! We better hope that Principle Bump doesn't find out that we're the ones who did it! We'd be expelled from Hexside for life!" Ed slapped his knee as Luz's smile suddenly dropped.

Wow, great going Ed, you made her sad. Does he ever think before talking?

"We... Would?" Luz questioned with a terrified look on her face.

"Oh yeah. There is no doubt. But don't worry cutie, they'll never find out if was us." Emira shot her a wink but her walking pace slowed down and she started lagging behind.

I'll kill those two someday. Until that day I'll have a shovel at the ready.

"They're just messing with you Luz. We wouldn't get expelled for life. How about I walk you home?" I walked beside her, giving Ed and Em the 'shoo' hand motion as they looked at me confused.

Luz gave me a sad smile. "That would be nice."

Em wiggled her eyebrows at me. "Look Ed! There's bats for sale!"

"What? No there's isn-"

Em gave me a look of acknowledgment, grabbing Ed's arm and pulling him off.

The two of us turned at the fork in the road, walking in silence for the time being.

What am I supposed to say?

I gotta say something or else it's going to be weird-

Say something normal!

But what would be normal to say in this situation?

Thinking about talking too normal is going to make it sound forced and weird-

'Hey Luz! I haven't known you for long but I'm ready to ditch my soulmate and marry you! I mean date you- or... Hug you?'

Why does talking gotta be be so hard! Can my head just think of words to say?!

Maybe something charming? Be charming brain!

"So uh- Luz? Sunsets. Am I right?"

Fuck.

She looked at me a little confused.

"Yeah, sunsets are really pretty! It's too bad we can't see it very well over the trees though."

"Huh yeah-" I rubbed the back of my neck, searching my brain for any good conversation starters that wouldn't make me sound like a jerk or like I'm stupid.

"When I was little I used to run down to the park to watch the sunset. On holidays they would set off fireworks as soon as it went dark. It was really pretty." She smiled sadly and chuckled at the memories.

"What are fireworks?" Her head shot up as she turned to look at me.

"You don't know what fireworks are?"

I shook my head.

"I need to show you some time! Maybe if Eda ever lets me borrow the portal key I can take you there on a holiday!" She seemed to become giddier the more she thought about it. "Fire works are these really pretty things and they kinda look like rockets, but when you light them, they shoot up into the sky and explode in a bunch of colours!"

"Really?"

"Yeah! Lots of people gather together just so they can watch it!"

"That sounds kinda dangerous, with the explosions and all-"

She paused to think.

"Yeah a little, but it's really fun!"

Her excitement made me fond of the idea of going to see 'fireworks'.

I smiled, ogling over the sight of her so happy. "I'd love to go see them with you."

The girl beside me continued to ramble about the holidays they had in the human realm, along with all the traditions that came with it.

She seemed so happy to talk about what the human world was like, it actually sounded really nice.

I could only imagine how cool it would be there.

Soon enough we made it into a clearing with a small house.

We walked across the gravel until we made it onto the porch.

"Hoot hoot! Password please!"

"Gah! What the fuck!"

Luz rolled her eyes and smiled. "Just give me a second Hooty."

"You got it Luz Hoot Hoot!" The bird tube thingy closed its eyes.

I looked back towards Luz.

"Thanks for trying to stop me from doing something stupid... before you did it yourself." She laughed as I laughed along with her, feeling slightly embarrassed.

I turned my gaze back out to the forest while there was a moment of silence.

And just as I went to say something, Luz got closer to me and got on her tippy toes, kissing me on the cheek.

I fell completely silent, barley even breathing.

"We should hang out again some time." The girl walked back towards the door, grabbing the handle and pulling it open. "Bye Amity."

And just like that the door shut, and I was left standing there, no words to say.

Slowly lifting my hand to my face, I placed it over where she kissed me.

"Hoot hoot! Somebody's in looooovvveeeee~"

I shoved my hand into his face, still in a daze.

"Hoot, Ow geeze! Hoot!"

"Shut up bird thing."

Half way proof read! Then I gave up-

BADADADDADADADDA BUDUDUDUDUDUDUDU