Running Away

I was sick of my family, I was sick of my life, I was so done with everything and everyone. So there I was, walking down a muddy pathway, in the rain, shivering, as the sun slowly sank below the trees. All alone, but, away from my life.

My family was extremely toxic. Everything was so superficial with them, nothing was real. All I was there for was to be 'Prince Dream' and look good in front of other kingdoms and their princesses. I didn't even like princesses! I never had a real conversation with my parents, I never got to do what I wanted, everything was done for me, I didn't get to learn actual useful things.

Now that I think about it, running away wasn't the best option for me considering my lack of useful skills. It's not like I'm not smart or anything. I'm definitely smart, very book smart. I know all about how to slay a dragon, rescue a damsel in distress, you know, the important stuff. Nothing about how to make food, how to start a bath, how to use cleaning supplies.

But boy was I in for a treat.

I walked along the muddy road, my boots squelching in the puddles. I carried a backpack over my shoulder with random clothes, food, and a couple weapons. I did know how to use those. All I ever did was train in sword fighting, and horse riding, and how to make a princess fall in love— well, that's not really important...

Every step away from my awful life took a weight off my shoulders. The farther I walked, the more I thought about all the things I could do with my new freedom. I can wake up as late as I want, eat whatever I want, talk to whoever I want, go on adventures, everything a young adult could ever dream of.

I looked up through the rain, pulling my cloak closer to me. I could see smoke in the distance meaning I was approaching a house. I pick up my pace trying to seek shelter from the trees along the winding path.

I rub my fingers together to avoid frostbite. I breathe onto them and watch my air billow into the sky. It was so cold I could see my breath?

"That's just-st gr-reat-t," I mumble to myself, teeth chattering.

I could be in my room, sitting on my bed that is too big for me, reading about something exciting that could never happen to me, in the warmth.

It is probably really warm in my room.

I approach a small cottage.

What if I just went back for one day? I did pick the worst day to run away. Maybe I could try again on a warmer and sunnier day?

No. I'm here. Just knock on the door and see if someone nice lives here. They do have fire, which just so happens to be warm.

I pull my frozen fingers from underneath my arms and knock on the thick wooden door. I lean on one leg to peek through the icy windows. A dark shape passes and I shiver violently as the wind picks up. The door creaks open and I am met with a tall man.

"Oh dear." His voice is deep and husky. "Are you alright son?"

"D-do you hav-ve room f-for one?" I ask through chattering teeth. My fingers grip my cold and wet cloak.

The man gently guides me into his house and pulls a chair up to his fireplace gesturing for me to sit there. I nod my head politely and pull my soaking cloak off. He takes it from me and drapes it over another chair. I quickly pull my hands to the flames to warm them. Before I can warm my red fingertips the man stops me.

"You look like you have frostbite son. I wouldn't put them by the fire if I were you." He wanders into the kitchen and returns with a bowl full of water.

"Here. Stick your hands in here until they warm up and then you can stick 'em by the fire."

I have no idea how water is better than fire for defrosting your hands, but he seems to know more than me. I dunk my hands in the lukewarm water and allow them to thaw. I keep close to the fire to let my pants and boots dry.

The man sticks around me making sure I'm alright. "What are you doing outside in a storm like this?" He finally breaks the silence.

Do I tell him the truth? That I am indeed a runaway prince. The prince? If I do, how would he treat me? Would he make me walk back to the castle? Would he tell the guards that would surely come looking for me? I definitely don't want that happening.

"I— uhh. I got left behind by my family and got lost."

"That's no good. Well feel free to stick around here for a while. Do you got any money?"

I internally facepalm at my idiocy. I didn't bring any money?! I literally have stacks upon stacks of money I could've brought with me, but no. I left it behind.

"No sir." I regrettably inform. Good riddance to my money I guess.

"Don't worry. I can find ya a job easy. How about some rest first?" He stands up and comes over to look at my hands. "Your fingers look a lot better, you'll be alright after a good nights rest. Head upstairs. My son should be up there. Tell him I sent you and he'll set you up a place for sleeping."

He gives a deep yawn and hands me a pile of clothes.

"Oh thank you," I push them away, "I actually have some in my bag."

He nods. "Alright then. Let me know if you need anything. Good night."

"Thank you very much sir."

I make my way up the stairs and into a small room with a bed, dresser, and nightstand. A young man about my age is sat on the bed and he looks up from his book as I enter the room.

His dark eyes pierce into my soul. Confusion is splayed across his face as I meekly smile.

"Hello?" His tone is laced in confusion.

I weakly wave. "Umm... hello. Your father said I could stay up here? He told me there was a place for me to sleep."

The young boys face clears. "Again dad?" He says to himself before, "Alright. Follow me."

I didn't mean to ruin his night...

Hello! This is my new story. I found a description for it on TikTok and thought I would take a go at it. I hope you like it. Thanks for reading!

1140 words