Freedom

I ride my horse through the forest and into the small village where George lives. The sun is high in the sky, warming my skin. It feels like a perfect day.

I deserve at least one perfect day.

I hop off of my horse as I ride into town. I pull the stallion behind me and tie it to a post. George's house is just ahead.

I sigh happily into the sky. I can't contain my excitement and I run down the pathway. I reach the front steps and hesitate at the door.

Does he really want to see me? What if Hugh kicks me out? What if he never made it home?

My inner self argues with me.

"Do your worst."

I knock.

I stand in anticipation scared of what could happen. Nothing has ever gone right. Anything could happen that would completely shatter my glass-like emotions.

I jump when I hear someone unlocking the door. My fists close in my pants pockets in terror. I take a deep breath in and watch the door swing open slowly. Standing on the other side of the door is George, looking somewhat bleary eyed and still in his pajamas.

His eyes slowly find mine and he stares before recognition kicks in. He goes still and stares wide eyed at me, still clutching the door. I hold my breath in my lungs and time seems to stop.

I watch George, awaiting his response, watching his every move. I scan his face, searching for any indication of his anger or happiness. He gives me nothing.

My lungs start burning and I slowly let air seep from my nose. George blinks and rubs his eyes as if he can't believe what he's seeing.

"Dream?"

He stands just inside the house, as if a barrier is keeping him from stepping up to me, or allowing him to leave his house.

"Yes."

I step towards him subtly. He reaches his hand out and penetrates the invisible barrier, fingers extending slowly towards my rising and falling chest.

I hold my breath, not daring to move closer or farther away from his touch. His hand hovers in uncertainty before his fingers collide with my chest.

I empty my lungs again and watch his face as his fingers clutch at my shirt. I am suddenly dragged forward by his hand and once again break the unseen barrier and collapse into George's arms.

He seems unprepared for my whole weight, as if he didn't realize how forcefully he had pulled me forward, and we collapse onto the floor in a heap and an oof.

I quickly move myself to my knees and pull George with me into a hug. He seems hesitant at first, but his arms wrap around my shoulders and his fingers grip onto my clothes, as if I would disappear if he let go.

I wrap one arm around his lower back and the other twists under his armpit and my fingers weave into his hair.

His face smashes into my shoulder and he muffles, "It's really you?"

I nod my head into the top of his head. "It's really me."

I feel wetness bloom on my shirt and George takes in a quick and loud breath. 

Oh...

George grips onto my shirt harder, twisting the fabric into his fists as he takes another shaky breath in. He is sobbing now.

"George..." I rub his back, trying to comfort him. "Don't cry George."

His forehead pushes into my shoulder harder and his shoulders collapse towards me as he tries to catch his breath.

I want to push him away so I can grab his face and wipe away his tears, but he has a strong hold, and it doesn't feel like he is going to let go. Instead I pull him closer, lifting him to sit in my lap on the hardwood floor. 

George sucks in a shaky breath. "I-I'm sorry! I just... th-thought you were gone. Forever..."

I run my hand across his back and squeeze the top of his shoulder in a reassuring way. It was supposed to be and indication to let go, but George holds firm.

"I'm here. I promise I'm here. I'm not leaving ever again."

He sniffles.

"George?"

He hums.

"You can look at me. I'm not going anywhere."

George reluctantly pulls his head away from my shoulder and loosens his grip around my body. His fingers stay firmly attached to my shirt. I look down at his red face. His hair is disheveled, his cheeks and eyes are pink, and streaks of wet stain his face. The dark of his eyes stand out against his pale and reddened face. 

His look of sorrow turns into wonder as he looks up at me. I smile down at him. The grip on my shirt loosens and he brings his fingers up to my face. His delicate fingers grace my face. I close my eyes on contact and lean into his touch. He runs a finger across my freckled cheeks, over my nose, and down to my lips. He pulls my bottom lip down, and then replaces his finger with his wet lips. 

I lean in, adding pressure to the kiss. I had been waiting for his lips for what felt like eternity. We kissed deeply, savoring the taste, the feel of it all. It felt real, it felt passionate. With every move of his lips against mine I could taste the love he felt for me. He sighed into my mouth and moved away from my lips. I move back to reconnect, but this time I kiss his nose, across his cheeks to his ear, and down his jawline, in an attempt to erase all the sadness that had once been present.

I can feel him smile as my lips move back towards his. He pulls at my shoulders and we recollide with a new fury, a new passion. We go in with open mouths, tongues meeting in the middle, in a breathless battle of love and unity. We move in synchronized want, with never ending affection for one another. It was something I had never experienced in my life, but it was so good. 

If this isn't real, I want it to replay over and over again in a never ending loop, because it's better than being in reality. 

But it was reality. I could tell by the way George pushed and pulled, with hands and mouth. It was real because I could feel the heat of him on my lap, and the heat of his mouth. I could hear his breath, and feel him under my hands as I grabbed at his face and hair in an attempt to become closer. 

This is real. 

And then I woke up. LOL JK JK JK. I almost did... no I didn't, but it would've been funny. Evil, but funny.

Thank so much for reading!! This story is slowly but surely coming to an end. I appreciate your persistence in making it this far. Happy endings for everyone! 

1161 words