Attempted Forgiveness

It was the middle of the night and I lay in my bed staring at the darkened ceiling above me. I was going to try and see George today, to try and explain myself, or at least give him my letter.

I was fully dressed under my covers. I knew there was two guards stationed outside my door and multiple all throughout the courtyard. If I could make it through the window without being seen and then somehow sneak through the courtyard to climb over the castle walls, then I would be home free.

I climb out from under the covers and toss my backpack onto my shoulders. I gently open my window and peek out. A guard turns the corner and I pull my head back inside.

They are probably walking rotations. I'll have to wait until he rounds the corner again before I go down.

I peek out the window again and watch as he disappears from sight. I slip over the edge of the window and double check. I somehow catch my sister running across the courtyard.

Now is my chance.

I climb out the window and jump into a bush. I squirm out of the bush and readjust my bag. I watch my sister get caught by the guards and they drag her back inside kicking and screaming.

This is too perfect.

I run across the courtyard, hiding behind trees and bushes, waiting for guards to make their rounds. I finally make it to the wall. I check my surroundings before climbing up. I drop down on the other side with ease and breathe a sigh of relief.

I can't believe I made it out alive.

I look into the deep dark woods and shiver in the cold. I twist my backpack off my shoulders and pull out the letter for George. My fingers shake. I look back up at the dark forest in front of me and find myself face to face with two guards.

My shoulders drop in defeat. Now I'm in for it.

"Prince Dream! What are you doing out here in the middle of the night? It's not safe."

One of them grabs my arm and leads me towards the front gate. I sigh as the guard goes on telling me about how it's safer in the castle and other kingdoms will be on the lookout for me because I'm the prince- blah blah blah.

The gates open in front of me slowly and I clutch the letter in my hands. They lead me back into the courtyard. As they hand me off to another set of guards, I stop one of them.

"Wait," I grab his arm.

He stops and turns around. His eyes are a dark brown, like George's, and he looks to only be a couple years older than me. He must be a new recruit.

"If I can't leave, can you at least get this to George at the bakery?"

It's not what I really wanted, but it would have to do.

He takes the letter from my grip gingerly.

"Please?"

Another guard has a hold of my arm and drags me away from the guard with my letter. He nods his head and the doors close behind me.

I really hope that letter makes it to George.

* * *

The next morning I find myself in the throne room with my father staring me and my sister down.

"What we're you two thinking trying to sneak out last night? You should know better then to run away." His eyes gaze into mine. "You know that we are not on good terms with the surrounding kingdoms. They are looking for any chance to gain the upper ground, and if either of you are caught outside the castle, they will surly capture you and use you as bait."

I look at my father tiredly. The amount of times I've tried to escape and failed was one. It's not like I've been a rebellious child ever before. My sister on the other hand, she should be getting reprimanded more than me. But that just wouldn't be fair. I mean, I was the only one to successfully escape which means I deserve punishment.

This is why I hated my life.

"Do you just expect us to stay in this castle and never see the outside world?" My sister complains. "We can't learn everything from books."

"You will do as I say until you are ready to see the outside world."

"That's not fair. Dream got to see the outside world before me. And he was gone for a month. He seems fine to me."

The kings eyes turn to me with ferocity. I slowly look over at my sister, disgust written across my features.

Why would she say that?

"Dream ran away. He was disobedient and he will suffer the consequences for his actions. In the mean time, the both of you are going to be under constant watch. If you try to escape again maybe I'll let you stay with the other kingdoms. But I doubt they will treat you any better than I am."

I roll my eyes. "In both cases we would be in prison," I mutter.

My sister smirks and the both of us are escorted from the throne room.

"Oh, and Dream," my father calls out.

I turn around and he gestures to a guard standing in the room.

"Here is your new partner until you learn obedience."

The guard nods his head and follows me out of the throne room.

I sigh and close my eyes as the door behind me shuts. The guard stands next to me awkwardly. His armor clanks as he shifts on his feet uncomfortably. I tuck my hands in my pants pockets and look over at the guard. I recognize him from last night. It was the same guard I had given my letter to.

I gasp and my eyes go wide. "Did you deliver my letter?"

He looks around us to check we are alone and then slowly nods his head.

"Really? How did you find him?"

He grabs my arm and starts dragging me down the hall. "Let's talk about this elsewhere." His voice is deep, and dispute him being much shorter than me, he has a strong grip.

I follow him quietly.

"What's your name by the way? I never got to thank you for helping me out," I say.

He grunts. "It's Sapnap."

I smile. "Thank you, Sapnap."

We reach my bedroom and Sapnap still has a grip on my arm. There are two guards stationed outside my doors as we approach. I look up at them and Sapnap quickly let's go of my arm. I nod my head and they let us in.

I spin on him once the doors are closed. "So?"

He reaches in his pocket and pulls a letter out. My eyes go wide. Is this really happening? Did he actually write me back?

I pull the letter from his hands and am met with my own cursive handwriting on the envelope. It says, "George" just like how I had written it the night before. I turn it over and realize the seal was never broken.

I swallow thickly and look at the guard in front of me. He meets my eyes.

"I'm sorry," his voice is breathy, almost a whisper of regret.

My hands drop and the letter falls to the floor. I sit on my bed and put my head in my hands. I can't stop the tears from falling.

Miserably, I realize; George is never going to forgive me.

Don't mind my angst. It's all part of the process. Thanks for reading! :D

1284 words