Attacked

I roll over in bed and take a labored breath. I reach over looking for George and swipe at thin air. I open my eyes. I'm not in my bed. George isn't here. My head hurts, my throat hurts.

The events of last night flood my brain and I frantically sit up and grab at my neck, taking deep breaths. The nurse notices me and smiles.

"Prince Dream! It's so good to see that you're awake. How're you feeling?" She steps up next to my bed and grabs at my shoulder, as if she wants me to lay back down.

I stare at her wildly. "Where's George? Is he okay?" My voice comes out raspy. I cough trying to clear it, but it hurts.

She raises an eyebrow. "Is George the one that brought you in here last night, unconscious."

I look around the hospital wing trying to remember. "I-I don't know... I was unconscious."

She gives me a look of sympathy. "It was a guard dear. Is your bodyguard named George?"

I shake my head and mutter, "no... no. Sapnap... saved me? What happened?"

Her hand pushes me back into a laying position, and despite not wanting to lay back down, I didn't really have the strength to resist.

"You passed out last night. Someone attacked you. That's why you have the red marks around your neck. They were choking you. It's a good thing your guard found you when he did. If you would've passed out while they were choking you than you might not have made it." She hands me a glass of water and gestures for me to drink it.

I gulp it down. My mind is frantic. Did Sapnap stop James or did he find George?

Where is George?

* * *

George's POV

I sit upright in Dreams bed quickly. The nightmare I had been having was horrible. I touch my cheeks lightly and wipe the tears from them. I twist to look at Dream, cuddle close and try to forget the horrible nightmare I had, but he wasn't there.

"Dream?" I call into the dark room.

The moonlight shines through the window peacefully. I pull the covers off my body and walk over to the window.

This is how Dream lives? He looks out his window at the forest and the towns below, wishing he didn't have to live here? Maybe I'm exaggerating, but I assume that's why he left. Because he hates his life.

The door opens loudly behind me and I whip around to see who it is. The guard who had been following Dream around, his name might've been Sapnap, was standing with his sword drawn.

"George," he says in his deep voice. "Come with me. We've got to go."

"Why? Where's Dream?"

"He's... not here?" he hesitates before stepping towards me quickly and grabbing a hold of my arm. "Let's go."

"W-wait," I struggle against his strong grip as he drags me down the hall. "I'm not leaving without Dream. Tell me what's going on."

"Someone's looking for you," Sapnap grunts as he mercilessly grips my arm. I tug on his fingers with my own, but he doesn't budge.

"Who? Why?"

Sapnap suddenly stops.

"Wha-?"

He shushes me.

I watch his face scrunch in confusion and he looks over at a door that seems to lead to a kitchen. I listen.

"I'm going to kill you." There's a muffled voice behind the door. A light banging makes my heart thump loudly.

Sapnap quickly kicks the door open, leaving me in the hallway alone.

I watch as he smacks someone across the kitchen. They crash to the floor, spilling dishes and food. My eyes turn to the crumpled form of someone behind the door. My eyes go wide and I quickly get to their side.

"Are you alright?"

I twist them onto their back.

It's Dream.

I gasp. "Dream. Oh my gosh." I shake his shoulder and he sways limply. I bring my ear to his mouth to listen for breathing.

"George." Sapnap calls my name.

My head jerks up and I find Sapnap and James fighting each other. James has a knife out. Sapnap has a hold of the wrist holding the knife. His sword is on the ground and he looks to be struggling against James.

James looks crazy, like he's ready to kill anyone.

"Run."

His simple word sparks fear in my body. I grab at Dream's shirt, trying to wake him up, or carry him.

"Leave him," Sapnap grunts as he dodged a knife swing to his shoulder. "Go."

My heart beats loudly in my chest as I watch them both struggle.

I can't leave Dream. I just got him back. I don't even know if he's alive, if I'll ever see him again. I can't leave him...

Sapnap gets pinned to the wall and James slices across his cheek. He yells out and falls to the ground. James turns on me and runs in my direction with terrifying speed.

I'm on my feet in seconds and out the door. My feet carry me down the hall.

James yells after me. "Don't run away from me George. You've done this once before. I won't let you do it again."

I pant violently and stumble down the carpeted and quiet hallways. I hear only mine and James footsteps.

Something crashes and I dare look behind me. Sapnap has James tackled to the ground. I twist back and run. I run until I reach the castle grounds. I run until I'm out of breath. I run, because I'm too scared to stop running.

What the heck was wrong with James?

And why did I leave Dream?

Scary...it took so long to write. I've been swamped with homework, but finally decided to take a break from homework and do something more fun. I hope you like it. :)

980 words