New Life

"George, what are you doing?"

A voice interrupts our make out session, on the floor of George's entryway.

We pull apart hastily, completely in shock, and slightly embarrassed. We both look up to see a stern looking Hugh peering down at us.

George removes himself from me faster than lightning and is quickly on his feet. I sit on the floor in a slight daze, heart beating fast from our previous interaction. I just stare up at Hugh wide-eyed.

"Dad!" George says, brushing himself off and running a quick hand through his hair. "We were just... I didn't... um...."

Hugh raises a bushy eyebrow and turns his gaze to me, sitting dazed, and love-struck, on the floor. I realize both George and Hugh's eyes are on me and I clamber to my feet in embarrassment.

"What are you doing here?" Hugh asks.

I gulp. This was the part I was afraid of.

I take a deep breath. "Umm... I'm here because... I needed to be."

I give George a look. He smiles.

I continue, "I need to apologize for everything and... I was hoping to ask you a question."

Hugh's eyes soften a little at my words, but he holds firm.

I build my courage, and tuck nervous fingers into pants pockets. "I'm sorry," I blurt, looking at Hugh. "I'm sorry for lying to you, taking advantage of you, and hurting your son. I'm sorry that I got you in trouble and for anything and everything else I may have caused." My hands leave my pockets and I play with my fingers. "I know that isn't going to change anything, but I hope that you'll forgive me for my mistakes. I never meant-"

I get cut off when Hugh steps forward and swiftly pulls me into a bear hug. I'm shocked at first, but I wrap my arms around his chest and he pulls away quickly, hands holding onto my shoulders.

"I forgive you son." He squeezes my shoulders for emphasis.

I smile. I can feel the heat behind my eyes as I tear up. "You... forgive me?"

Hugh's eyes crinkle at the corners as he gives me a genuine smile. "Of course I do."

I sniffle and shove my face into my palms.

"Thank you," I muffle.

He squeezes my shoulder. "Don't cry."

"These are happy tears," I say as I look up. I'm smiling, George smiles at me, and Hugh wraps me in another warm, fatherly embrace.

If only my father were as kind as this man who has only known me for almost a month. If only my life had been this happy all the time. If only... no. It still can be.

"Umm," I sniffle and rub and my nose. "As for my question..."

George and Hugh look my way expectantly. Hugh still has a hold of my shoulders, but his hands retreat at my words.

"I was hoping, and wondering, if I could have George... for a while. I just really love him and I know staying here would draw attention from the guards again. I don't want to cause any more trouble," my eyes meet George's, "but I do want to live with George and treat him right, and show him what love is."

A silence covers the room like a blanket. My eyes snap back to Hugh. He seems shocked at my question.

I break the silence hesitantly, and with a quiet voice ask, "Can I?"

Hugh's eyebrows scrunch in thought. "You want to take George away?"

My heart skips a beat. "Only if you allow it."