Floury Encounter

The rest of my day at the bakery consists of me catching George staring and awkward conversations. Nothing feels right. Usually we are so good at talking to each other, but for some reason today has been just a little different. George isn't acting like normal. He hasn't criticized my work once, or told me off, or complained about having to tie my apron. Actually when I ask for his help for the millionth time, his face turned red and he quickly did it without a word.

What's wrong with us today?

Towards the end of our shift, George is awkwardly teaching me to frost cupcakes. I have the bag for piping in my hand, filled with pink frosting. I hover over the cupcake as he tries to explain.

"When you pipe the frosting you just go in a circle motion," he shows me with his empty hands. I nod.

"And then you aim the tip straight at the cupcake."

I point it at the cupcake and he shakes his head. "No, no. Like straight up and down."

I give him a confused look and move the bag. His hands hover around my arms like he is afraid to touch me. I give up and hold the bag out to him.

"Just show me first and then I'll try it okay?" I tell him.

He grabs the bag from me, our fingertips brushing. He moves closer to me to get to the cupcake sitting in front of me on the counter. I scoot over as our arms brush together.

George starts talking, but I'm suddenly more interested in his face. He gulps nervously, his adam's apple bobbing, and his mouth moves as he explains. The way he talks was just so gentle, his cheeks squish in and out, teeth showing every once in a while. I realize he is piping on the cupcake and I quickly turn my gaze.

"-then to finish of just quickly pull the tip off so it has a little spike on top." His eyes turn up to mine.

My lips part silently. The confused expression on my face makes George reach for another cupcake.

"Do you need me to show you again?"

I nod my head guiltily. "Maybe..."

He gives a small laugh, making some of the awkwardness dissipate. This time as he pipes the cupcake I watch his technique, the way he squeezes the bag and steadily frosts from the middle to the edges.

"Do you want to try now?" He asks.

He holds the bag out to me and I take it as George grabs another unfrosted cupcake.

"So I hold it like this?" I hold it straight above the cupcake and George nods. "And then start on the inside..." I squish the frosting out and start at the middle. I swirl it until it reaches the edges. "Then quickly pull it off," I pull the tip off quickly. I admire my very first frosted cupcake.

"It looks awful," I note. The frosting wasn't even touching each other so you could still see the cupcake through the frosting.

"It's fine," George reassures. He grabs a butter knife and smooths the frosting across the cake. He grabs some sprinkles and dusts the frosting with it. Now it looked like a professional cupcake. "See?"

I smile at him. He pulls another unfrosted cupcake towards me.

"Let me just help you for this one," he grabs at the frosting. His hands go over mine and a bubbling feeling in my stomach attacks me.

"Apply pressure so the frosting comes out and I'll guide your hand okay," George tells me.

I squeeze the frosting out and George moves our hands in a circular motion across the cupcake. I feel like my face is on fire. Why do I feel like this?

George looks up at me, our faces only separated by our height. His smiling face slowly fades as we stare at each other. His grip slowly loosens from around my hands. I let the frosting bag get placed on the counter and my arm falls to my side. I look down at George's pretty features. My thumb glides across his cheek and I hook my hand under his chin.

George's lips slightly part. Everything feels like slow motion. Until we are interrupted by the ding of a costumer entering the store.

I blink out of my trance and George quickly walks around the corner to the front, cheeks tinted pink.

What is happening right now? What is going on in my head? I thought I had this all figured out. Now I feel a piece of me attached to living the life I am now. I don't know what's going on.

I'm brought from my thoughts when I hear a familiar voice in the bakery. I peak my head around the corner and see the six guards from yesterday standing in the lobby. George was practically cowering behind the counter as they asked him questions.

"Have you seen the prince?" They are asking. The main guard holds out a paper to George and he takes it from his hand.

My heart races. It's a fairly good drawing of, well, me.

What do I do? George is going to figure me out.

I think quickly, dumping flour over my head and face, and wander over to George.

"George," I catch his attention. "I spilled flour everywhere. Will you help me?"

The guards turn their attention to me. "I was asking him a question," he points at the picture of me. "Have you seen the prince?"

I grab the picture from George and he looks at me with a confused expression. "Who's this guy? The prince? So ugly." I throw the picture behind me. "If you're not going to buy anything then get out." I grab George's shoulder and lead him to the back.

"What are you doing?" He asks.

"Saving you from their interrogations."

He pulls away from my guiding hand. "They are just looking for the prince. Why does it matter?"

I stand shocked at his outburst. "Well, I don't know. I thought you would want to avoid them."

"Well, I don't really like them, but they are just asking a simple question. Why not help if I can?" His voice has grown louder.

"Didn't you hear me yesterday?" I raise my voice. "Those guys aren't the good guys. I mean, yes they are looking for the prince, but maybe the prince ran away for a reason." I chuckle sourly. "And, plus they tried to enter your house without permission yesterday, and they barged in the bakery to ask the same question you don't have an answer to." My voice has raised to over power his. "I just- I can't let them take you away!"

George looks shocked. His anger falters. He looks away from me.

Why did I say that? Did I mess up?

"Why do you care about me?" His voice is small. I barely catch his words.

I...

Thanks for reading! Just a little fun fact; I've actually written 2 other stories. One is called "Famously Infamous" and the other is "Leaving me Flustered". They are both 100% complete, so if you get bored of waiting for my new chapter than you can go read my other stories. Promotion over, what do you think of the story so far?

1228 words