Interrupted Relaxation

Y/N's Perspective
University Campus, Earth
Wednesday, 18/08/32

I waved goodbye to my teacher as I left the Technical Studies building and began to make my way across the campus, looking around at the other students and up at the grey Summer sky, shaking my head and sighing. It felt strange to have two jumpers and a pair of tracksuit pants on in the middle of the warmest part of the year, but it had been raining quite a lot recently... more so in the past two weeks than in the entire season, or even the whole of last Spring and Winter combined. It felt kind of strange in a way, since almost all of my childhood memories of Summer were filled with endless days of sun, slip-n-slides and lemonade-flavoured ice blocks. 

'I guess that all changes when you grow up.' I thought to myself, pushing the door to the village residence I shared with three of my closest friends open. It was completely empty though, since my aforementioned friends were currently taking time off their studies in this shitty grey weather to visit their families in the towns over, which meant I had the residence all to myself for a while. And, as I had done for the past week, I dropped my gear on the table in the kitchen and dragged myself to my room, flopping down onto the bed. I pulled out my phone from my pocket and fished around in my other pocket for my earbuds, finding them after a moment and plugging them in, pressing play on a fairly depressing parody of a song from a Netflix special called Inside by someone called Bo Burnham a decade ago. The parody itself was called That Funny Feeling, and it was somehow more depressing than the original. As I listened to the song, I looked up at the ceiling and thought about what I was doing with my life, sitting alone in a 4-person village residence. 

"I'm not suicidal, but I'm not alive at all..." I hummed the lyrics to myself and sat in silence for a few minutes before deciding to get up, knowing that if I laid there any longer without doing anything else I'd probably have an existential crisis. I swung my legs off the bed only to pull them right back onto it when a large, oddly shaped flying saucer of some kind piloted by a weird-looking robot with a massive head crashed through the building, tearing a great big hole in the middle of it, then disappearing on the other side.

"What... the fuck?" I said, my voice trembling and my body shaking from my first near-death experience of the day. I jumped up and ran outside, looking around frantically for whatever that... thing was that crashed through the residence, and immediately lost all words. Purple-coloured cracks had opened up all around the place, and alien animals and bugs were pouring out of almost all of them. I felt around for my pocket knife, which was... in my pocket, as expected, and ran back into the kitchen, searching through the half-destroyed cupboards for the pistol we kept in case anyone broke in. I grabbed my backpack from the table and dumped the contents, leaving my laptop, phone, a pen and an empty A4 book in it, then shoving all the ammo clips I could fit into my bag before I grabbed the 1911 and dashed through the hole in the wall again. 

In the space of a mere minute, the amount of rifts around campus had doubled, the police had arrived and many people had disappeared, presumably into the rifts or into one of the buildings, and alien animals littered the campus, some dead and some running around frantically, not having any sense of where they were, or where their homes had gone. 

"All students, teachers and visitors, please stay calm and away from any of these rifts. We have the situation under control, and we have scientists already experimenting and testing to find the cause of this." A senior police officer was standing up on the drained, broken fountain in the middle of the campus with a microphone, addressing the public that was still there. I shook my head, slightly disappointed that the cops weren't doing more, and slipped around the back of my residence, taking another look around.

"Okay, this is bad-" I said, noticing more and more rifts opening up everywhere and more animals and other things pouring out of them, one even opening right in front of me. Through it, I could see what the insides of it looked like... it was strange. It looked like a jigsaw puzzle of hundreds of dimensions in the empty space between alternate realities. I edged closer to it, determined to investigate it, feeling a heavy force trying to lift me up and pull me through it. I could almost see to the other side, to the opening this rift was connected to. It was a rooftop in a shadowy city, with neon lights stretching in all directions. I let out an audible groan and braced myself, then ran forward and threw myself in, letting out a small shriek as I tumbled through the space in-between to the other side.

A/N: Whew, first chapter: successfully done and edited! The parody of That Funny Feeling is actually my own. And before you ask I'm fine :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1tV8rmP9XA