The Home Game (Part One)

Y/N's Perspective
Scarstu Debris Field, Zurkie's Gastropub & Battleplex
Friday, 20/08/32

"Ah, my strange fan and his fleshy friend want to assist? Tantalizing." The Emperor continued to hold Dr Nefarious off the ground and walked past us, using the strange purple attack to keep us to the floor as we tried to get up. Enno hurried along behind him, listening to his every word and waiting to obey like a lap dog. "Why don't we make this interesting. A home game, perhaps?"

Emperor Nefarous shot the Dimensionator at the floor behind him and dangled Dr Nefarious above the rift it made, the purple robot letting out small, terrified shreiks before he was dropped in. Enno followed after, and the Emperor left with a bow and backwards dive into the rift.

The three of us got up, and Rivet looked at Ratchet and I worryingly. "He's going to Sargasso..." She looked as worried as ever. "I have to get there first!"

"We're coming with you." Ratchet and I replied, nodding at each other as we did.

"Ratchet, we must find Quantum. He is the last rebel on that list." Clank interjected, looking at the group from over Ratchet's shoulder. 

Ratchet nodded, understanding the assignment: get as much intergalactic rebel help as possible. "So we'll meet you two at Sargasso with the cavalry?" He asked, pointing at me and Rivet.

"Exactly." Rivet replied. "Go to Ardolis and find Pierre. He'll take you to him." The three of us nodded, Ratchet parting ways with Rivet and I.

"We're not out of time yet, Rivet!" I exclaimed as we crashed through the Gastropub part of Zurkies and back out to the open space before the landing platforms, jumping the gaps in the winding path down to save time.

"Wait!" Kit spoke up, making the two of us stop in our tracks. "If we are going to face the Emperor, should we not at least check if we have the right amount of resources?" She asked, making both Rivet and I think for a moment. 

"On it." I replied, pulling up the armoury screen in my implant's screen. "We're stocked up, don't worry." I reassured Kit before starting to sprint for our ship, Rivet following close behind.

I jumped into the driver's seat and Rivet hopped in the passengers, placing Kit in the seat behind us. I punched in the coordinates to Sargasso and hastily took off, speeding away from the Gastropub and towards Sargasso.

Y/N's Perspective
Sargasso
Saturday, 21/08/32

I ran a hand over my face and let out a tired sighed, putting the ship on autopilot before leaning back in my seat. Seeing I was tense, Rivet offered me a little comfort by resting her gloved hand on my leg, looking worriedly at me. "N/N, what's wrong?" She asked after a moment.

I averted my eyes from the empty miles of space in front of me and turned to her, letting out another sigh. "Enno... that voice... it-- it sounds so... familiar." 

A sudden ringing echoed in my ears and a white light filled my eyes, bringing me back to a memory from a long time ago.

"GET DOWN ON THE GROUND NOW!" Young Y/N covered his ears as his father dragged him away from the dining room, the men who broke into their apartment shouting orders at his mother and sisters before gunning the three down.

"You know why we're here, Walter!" The second man shouted. Y/N had only caught a glimpse of each mobsters face when they burst in, and back then he had no idea who they were... But he recognised the second mobster now. His voice, his face... hell, even the way he acted. It all matched up now.

I snapped back to the present moment and looked to my right, seeing Rivet sitting there with a relieved expression that I at least seemed to be in touch with reality again. I took a deep breath and looked out at the confines of space before turning to her again. "Enno... I've had a run-in with him before..." I whispered, looking into her eyes with a serious, but also scared expression. "He... he was there on that night..." Tears started to well up in my eyes and Rivet pulled me towards her, hugging me to her chest and rubbing the back of my head, like a mother would do to her child after they woke up from a bad dream.

Two Weeks Prior...
Third-Person Perspective
Earth Military Offense Outpost 11, Sargasso (Dimension EN)
Saturday, 7/08/32

"Are you certain this is going to work, Sir?" A guardsman asked as he held the Dimensionator out to Enno, who was dressed up in a camo variant of the standard military uniform, sporting the highest clearance badge and a Five-Star General badge. 

He took the weapon and nodded. "I saw this tactic while visiting another... timeline." Enno replied, examining the Dimensionator in his hands. "It's a simple in-and-out mission." He explained, turning to the guardsman, who was now holding two custom-made Teal mob suits. One was to fit him while the other was for Enno. He took his and continued speaking. "We kill the boy's family and leave at exactly 2130 hours. You do not, under any circumstances, harm the boy. Understood, Tony?"

Tony, the guardsman, nodded and turned away, heading towards a pile of boxes twice as tall as him to switch uniform. Enno pulled a time-warp modifier out of his pocket and examined it before attaching it to the Dimensionator and pre-setting the date, time and coordinates needed for their next mission before walking in the opposite direction to Tony, dropping the Dimensionator off at a Guard post before finding a spot to change clothes as well.

A few minutes later, both men met up where they were talking before, loading their replica 2018 guns. Enno pulled out a walkie-talkie and spoke into it, instructing some unseen guardsman to fire the Dimensionator at a brick wall near the meeting spot. The weapon was fired, and soon enough the two were standing in front of the purple Rift that would take them to their destination. They nodded at each other before stepping in, entering Dimension RI... home to two young and unknowing heroes: Y/N and Rivet.

Present Day...
Y/N's Perspective
Sargasso, Outpost L51
Saturday, 21/08/32

Our ship landed at The Morts' Gelatonium Factory and we quickly jumped out, instantly getting to work on setting up defence measurements and evacuating the factory workers to a bunker under Rivet's hideout. 

From a quick glance at the skies upon entering the planet's atmosphere just earlier, I could tell the coming fight would be a physical and mental test for everyone involved. There were Nefarious Ships flying around everywhere, seemingly coming from a planet-destroyer class Nefarious Warship that was floating in the sky. 'God, this Emperor guy really means business...' I thought as I got back to work, guiding a group of Morts to Rivet's hideout.

I turned to Rivet as we evacuated the last of the Morts into the bunker and closed it, having an interesting question in mind about a conversation she and Kit had earlier. "Earlier, you two were having that conversation about being a team, right?" I asked, looking at Rivet. Kit, knowing what I was about to ask, turned and looked over Rivet's shoulder, her blue eyes fixated on me, as were Rivet's. "Do you really think that you wouldn't work well with a robot buddy? You worked just fine with Bolts, and you've spent basically every second of this adventure buddied up with me. Y'know?"

Rivet took my organic hand in hers and held it tight, looking deep into my eyes. "Y/N, you know I'm always happy to be paired with you because I fell in love with you." She replied, looking at me fondly. "Clank was always going to be a temporary partner. And that's just... what some people are. Not everyone's meant to be in your life forever."

Kit nodded from behind Rivet, agreeing with her point. "Sometimes, you just need a little extra help with saving the entire space-time continuum. It's a fairly difficult task, after all. After we're finished here, I may go back to Savali to pick up where I left off in guarding the Interdimensional Archives."

"Exactly." Rivet replied with a comforting smile. "Just keep in mind that you're not going anywhere fast~" She gave me a quick kiss on the lips and pulled back, a bit of blush on both of our faces. "Anyway, we've got a gang of dickbags to stop. Kissing your handsome face can come after we save my home."

I nodded and we exited Rivet's Hideout, heading back to the Gelatonium Factory. Unluckily for us, Nefarious Forces had decided to wait for our return and began opening fire at us. They almost caught us in the open, but Rivet and I ran and found cover, knowing the rough start to this fight meant that it would be a tricky situation to get out of.

A/N: Another chapter, another cliffhanger. BOOM! Who's excited to read what happens next? I know I'm excited to write the next chapter, since we're really going places with our hero's backstory! Anyway, it's almost 2am and I NEED some shut-eye, so I'll hear from you lovely lot when I return!

Burn Bright & Carry On
Enno