Drunk Dancing

Y/N's Perspective
Scarstu Debris Field, Zurkie's Gastropub & Battleplex
Wednesday, 18/08/32

Before I went inside, Mrs Zurkon called me over to her store. She could see I was quite nervous, since I silently refused to look at her, my cheeks a light red. "Sugar, there's nothing to be afraid of!" She said, looking at me.

"You wouldn't understand..." I mumbled, rubbing my right arm and sighing, the blush disappearing.

"Y/N, I'm telling you, you'll be fine!" Mrs Zurkon said, leaning over the counter to try and make eye contact with me.

"But what if I'm not?" I asked, blowing my hair out of my face as I looked up at her. "What if I'm not good enough, or I'm too nervous, or I mess up? I mean, we have a universe... universes to save, so what happens if I mess this up?"

"I'm sure you'll be fine." She said, speaking a little quieter. "Poor Rivet is probably in there wondering where you are and blaming herself for scaring you off." She took a close look at my expression and leaned back as she realised why I was acting like this. "Y/N, are you worried that it will end like all the others?" She asked slowly, carefully watching my expression.

I took a long sigh, looked up at her again, and nodded, a tear in my eye. "The whole dating thing's never worked well for me..." I said, looking at my hands as I talked. "It's always been 'you're really nice, but I'm sorry' or just a straight-up no. Every girl I've liked and gone out with has always turned me down, always on the first date..."

Mrs Zurkon nodded and turned around, looking for something. When she turned back to me, she held a metal rose. "I know it isn't much, but give this to her. I know for a fact that Rivet will like it." She said, honest kindness in her voice. I grabbed the rose and turned to leave. Before I did, I stopped and turned around. "Thank you." I said, smiling at her before walking inside.

Rivet was sitting at the table she had fixed Clank on, and I noticed she looked as nervous as I did, which, in turn, made me a little less nervous. At least I knew I wasn't the only one who was freaking out over this. I walked over and she looked up at me, a blush quickly becoming prominent on both our faces as she saw the flower in my hand. I sat down in the booth with her, and we were both quiet for a little while. "I, uh... I got this for you." I said, looking at her and showing her the rose. She looked at it and blushed again, looking at her lap for a second before looking up at me and smiling a little. I smiled back and gently slid it behind her ear, her blush deepening as I did. I sat back and looked at her, my heart thumping in my chest. 

"So, uh, you come here often?" I asked in a minorly joking matter, looking at her. She smiled and shook her head to herself, then looked up at me.

"Oh, every once in a while I stop by and have a drink, but I don't come here too often." She replied jokingly, smiling at me.

"Oh, really?" I asked, looking at her with an inquisitive expression. "You must tell me what's good here, it's my first time." By this point, we both had an equally stupid smile on our faces, and it was difficult to choke down the urge to laugh. However, neither of us lasted long and we both cracked up after about 20 seconds of just looking at each other. 

After we straightened ourselves up, I found it a little easier to talk to her, my nerve slowly disappearing. "So, should we go get something from the bar?" I asked, looking over at Zurkie, who looked away as soon as he saw my head turn towards the bar.

Rivet smiled and nodded in response, and I stood up, offering a hand out of her seat. She shyly took it, blushing as I gently pulled her up. As we walked towards the bar, we talked about drinks, what was good here, and what we usually got anywhere.