Here we go again

Malia

We arrived at the crime scene, arguing.

"Is that all you do is argue?" Damon asked us.

"Malia is still miffed that I stayed in Chicago," Luka said.

I rolled my eyes. "It's not my fault you got lost and couldn't find your way home. I should draw you a map." I raised my palm and moved my finger along it, landing on the location of Lakewood. "See, you're here, not way down there." I pointed at the ground.

Luka rolled his eyes. "Are you finished?"

"Well, if you need help, you have your palm to guide you."

"My palm guided me enough." Luka walked away.

My eyes widened as Damon laughed. I shook my head and walked towards the crime scene.

"It seems like old times," Damon mentioned.

I investigated the crime scene while drinking my coffee. The coroner had taken the bodies before I arrived with Luka. I glanced around the area. Why would someone kill two people out in the open? Most killers would lure their victims or enter the victim's homes.

I studied the writing. Love kills. Was the killer spurned by a lover? Did the killer not receive love? Was there a connection to someone in town?

I tapped the lid of my travel mug. The Lakewood Serial Killer targeted women similar in looks to his mother. Aside from Niko's dad, the sheriff, and a few other males, the killer chose women.

I turned and walked towards Damon and Luka. "I have a theory."

"When don't you have a theory?" Damon asked me.

I rolled my eyes. "Each serial killer targets specific victims for one reason or another. Gacy, Dahmer, Bundy, and others targeted specific genders. Berkowitz targeted couples or women."

"Yeah, but most serial killers hate their victims for specific reasons. Someone abused them, or they lost their mother," Damon reasoned.

"Or they were a pillar of the community," Luka added.

"Each act has been random with victims," Damon said.

"True on all accounts, but this person has a specific reason," I said.

"Okay." Luka crossed his arms. "What his motive?"

"When I figure it out, I'll let you know." I patted Luka's chest, then walked away.

Dad advised me not to visit the Lakewood Serial Killer, but my gut said he could give us insight. Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back.

*******
Luka

I rested my hands on my hips and shook my head.

"When will you tell Malia the truth?" Damon asked me.

I glanced at Damon.

"Luka, she deserves to know why you stayed in Chicago."

"It's complicated."

"Oh, sure. Malia, I remained in Chicago and didn't bother to call because I was hunting a serial killer."

I narrowed my eyes at Damon.

"A serial killer that targeted women similar to you."

I blew air past my lips.

"And one I couldn't catch because I'm an inept cop who couldn't catch a fly."