Prison trip

Malia

Dad arrived bright and early to pick me up. Does dark still count as early? Because I doubt the roosters are up.

I locked my front door, trekked to the car, and got in. Dad handed me a cup of coffee. "Here. I thought you would need this."

I took the coffee and sipped it. "Yeah, because I enjoy getting up before dawn."

Dad chuckled. He backed out of the driveway and drove towards the interstate.

"It surprises me that you're taking me to the Lakewood Serial Killer. Weren't you adamant about staying away from him?"

"I was, but not for the reason you think."

"Then what's your reason?"

"Mal, I spent many years investigating homicides. Detroit is notorious for gruesome deaths. This job stays with you even after you close a case."

"That didn't answer my question."

"It's harder when it hits close to home."

"Yeah, I know." I sipped my coffee as Dad drove along the interstate.

He reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out an envelope, and handed it to me.

"What's this?"

"Read it."

I opened the envelope and removed the letter, then shined my phone's flashlight on it.

Hello Lieutenant,

It's been a while since we last spoke. How is your daughter? I bet she grew into a beautiful woman. I would love to talk to her. She always intrigued me when we spoke. Her kindness wasn't like the others. Most people ignore you, but she doesn't.

It seems you have a copycat on your hands. I bet your daughter would understand better than anyone how to track him. I do admire his adulation, but he's sloppy. Do you know he writes to me frequently?

Interestingly, he's right under your noses, and you don't even realize it. Well, I will tell you more, but I prefer to speak with your daughter. She's more understanding.

I flipped the page. "It's like there's a partial letter here."

"The Lakewood Serial Killer keeps his notes brief. But the station has been receiving them once a week."

"For how long?"

"For the past three months."

The sun started rising as Dad pulled into the parking lot entrance of the prison. He parked the car. We got out, walked towards the gate, and flashed our badges. The guard buzzed us in.

"Mal, keep your composure. The Lakewood Serial Killer had a shot at you already. He will prey on your previous encounter and use it against you to disarm you."

"I'll be fine."

We checked in at the office and left our sidearms with the warden. The warden showed us to a room with a table and chairs. I stood in the room as I heard chains clanging. A few minutes later, a guard led the Lakewood Serial killer into the room. The guard shoved the killer into a chair. The warden and guard stood to the side of the room as Dad pulled out a chair and sat down.

I stared at the killer and touched my neck.

"Join us, Detective," the killer said, gesturing to a chair.

I pulled out a chair and sat down next to Dad.

"It's nice to see you again. Did you miss me?"

"No."