Trying to find the link

Malia

Damon pulled the reports for traffic stops, and we read through them. None of the descriptions fit our killer. As we checked each account, Luka came in and plopped down in a chair.

"Why do you seem more piss than usual?" Damon asked Luka.

"Because I encountered our local serial killer."

Damon and I did a double-take. "What?" We asked.

"I was checking stores in town and stopped into Simon's comic book shop."

"You're telling us that our killer was checking out comic books like no big deal?" Damon asked.

"Yeah."

"That's ballsy."

Luka looked at us. "What are you doing?"

"We're checking traffic stops. Most serial killers get busted for the stupidest things," I said.

"I mentioned to Simon that my wife hates comic books because she can't stand the artwork."

I leaned my head to the side and squinted my eyes at Luka. "If the killer knows you, then he knows that you're not married."

"I didn't think that far ahead."

I facepalmed myself.

"Great, you tipped off our friendly neighborhood serial killer," Damon said, tossing a stack of papers onto the table.

"Luka, what were you thinking?" I asked.

"I was thinking that I've been hunting this person for ten years." Luka gave me an annoyed look.

I rubbed my temples and shook my head.

"What did the Lakewood Serial Killer say?"

"He said the killer used blood in their artwork at school. The killer eluded Luka because Luka couldn't prevent deaths, and he emulates the Lakewood Serial Killer because he took the life of someone close to the copycat killer."

"I don't remember anyone using blood in their artwork during high school," Damon said.

Luka's eyes darted across the table. "You wouldn't because you transferred here before our senior years, as did Malia and I. The only person who would know is Niko." Luka looked at us.

Damon blew air past his lips. "Great."

I guess we're visiting Niko.

******
Luka

We showed up at Damon and Niko's place and looked for Niko. We found him in a room, typing away on a laptop. I touched his shoulder as he screamed like a girl.

"Don't do that! You gave me a heart attack!"

"If I gave you a heart attack, you would be lying on the floor dead."  I gave Niko a look.

"You know what I mean!" Niko threw up his hand, dismissing me. "Now, why are you here? To scare the bejesus out of me?"

"No, I need your help."

Niko crossed his arms.

I dragged a chair over and sat down. "You lived in Lakewood most of your life."

"Unfortunately. Why?"

"Do you remember anyone that used blood in their artwork?"

"Doubtful."

"Why?"

"Because I was busy trying to avoid my perve of a father."

"Niko, the Lakewood Serial Killer claims the copycat killer attended our school. He created art, using human blood."