Returning to school

Malia

While Dad and the others monitored the festival grounds, I returned to Lakewood High school. I looked at the building as it loomed with an ominous presence. I hadn't stepped foot on the premises since I graduated high school.

I checked my watch. Sunset wouldn't happen for a few more hours, which gave me time to investigate the surrounding area. I walked around the building outside until I saw the woods.

A trail led through the woods onto the school ground. I never knew where the path led until I decided to check it out. I climbed the hill to the pathway and walked. The trail winded through the trees as it led to a clearing.

When I reached the opening, I stopped as a hospital loomed in the distance. My curiosity piqued as I walked toward it and glanced around me until I got to the entrances and looked at the sign above a set of doors: Lakewood Insane Asylum

The hospital had overgrown weeds and grass, with some windows broken. I checked the doors to find them locked with no trespassing signs posted. As I checked out the building, I discovered a window opened and climbed through the opening.

The paint peeled from the walls as items remained to scattered inside. I pulled out my phone, turned on the flashlight, and walked through the abandoned room to a hallway.

********
Luka

I slipped away from the festival grounds, drove to the high school, and parked my car at a local business. I took the rest of the way on foot. I didn't like Malia trying to take on the Lakewood Serial Killer alone. I remembered what he did to her when we went to the prison.

It didn't take me long to reach the high school. I found Malia's car parked near the school and checked around it. Where are you, Mal?"

********
Malia

Glass crunched underneath the soles of my shoes as I walked through the empty hospital. I flashed my light into rooms to find abandoned beds and other broken furniture. Writings covered the wall from vandals.

As I walked, something caught my eye. I walked into a room with metal filing cabinets. After opening a drawer, I glanced at folders with last names, pulled one out, and opened it. It provided patients' information like their name, date of birth, and other pertinent information.

I closed the folder, opened another drawer, and glanced at the names. I did this with every filing cabinet until I pulled out a folder, opened it, and flipped through it.

The patient exhibits borderline personality disorder with narcissistic and sociopathic tendencies. The patient lacks empathy for human and animal life. I've performed shock therapy with little to no response to treatment. I ran a series of mental tests and found the patient with an exceptional IQ of 180. Behavioral tests conclude the patient is cunning and sadistic.

I skipped the remaining portion of the doctors' notes and landed on gender. "Patient has both male and female sex organs. What?" I flipped a page as my eyes widened at the face of the Lakewood Serial Killer. Shit.

I closed the folder and hurried from the room but stopped in my tracks. The Lakewood Serial Killer stood twenty feet from me with his lips twisted into a smile. I turned on my heel and bolted down the hallway with the killer hot on my heels.

********
Abby

I sat perched in front of the computer screen with my chin in my palm and my fingers tapping the desk. I didn't think it would take this long to analyze phone data.

While I waited for the computer program to finish its search, my email dinged. I clicked on the new mail.

Hey, Abby,