Searching for the link

Malia

Luka and I met with IA to answer questions about the shooting of the Lakewood Serial killer. They separated us to ensure an impartial interview. It was standard procedure.

Afterward, I waited for Luka outside the State police headquarters. Luke came strolling out with a relieved expression plastered on his face.

"How did it go?" I asked.

"All my answers lined up with the crime scene. The medical examiner is performing the autopsy. Once they get the ballistics back, they can close the case. How did your interview go?"

"I explained what happened and the conversation between Taylor and me."

We turned and walked toward a food truck. I needed something to eat.

"Can we two hot dogs with the works and two pops?" Luka asked the guy.

The guy nodded and grabbed our food and drinks.

Luka turned to me. "What did Taylor tell you in the basement?"

"He told me how he used Patrick, Jasmine, Jeremy, and James to help him because he knew their secrets."

"Yeah, but Lakewood had a lot of secrets."

The guy handed our hot dogs and drinks to us.

"He also talked about his time at the hospital and how the local kids made fun of him. The parents refused to allow their kids to play with him. Then I mentioned his gender."

"Taylor was transgender."

"No, he wasn't."

Luka cocked his head and gave me a sideways glance.

"Taylor was intersexual. He had both sex organs with the male dominating the female aspect."

"That would explain the transgender aspect."

We walked and ate our hot dogs while discussing what happened.

"Taylor had a twin, didn't he?" I asked.

"Yes. A twin brother."

"From what we know, your mom had an affair with the Sheriff. They had twin boys. Both boys lived in the Lakewood Mental Hospital. But the hospital had closed since it had overgrown weeds and grass. Why would a town build a school near a mental hospital?"

"It's not far-fetched for small towns to build around businesses."

"Eloise in Westland, Michigan, had become its city because of the self-sufficient resources. Most businesses had built around it, leaving it alone until the State took over the funding. It eventually closed its doors because of the expense."

"Most hospitals closed because of the lack of funding."

"Yeah, but the hospital transferred most patients while releasing others. If the hospital closed, it would give Taylor an opportunity and motive to exact his revenge."

"Are you saying Taylor picked his victims?"

"Think about it. The girls resembled your mother's hair color, body type, and height. He dated Nico. Nico's dad wouldn't keep his hands off Nico. His father is the Sheriff. Who better to cover up what your precious child is doing?"

"Okay, that explains those aspects. What about his infatuation with you?"

"Remember when I had a nightmare about Nico and Taylor?"

"Vaguely." Luka shrugged his shoulders and shook his head.

"I called Nico right afterward. Nico was with Taylor." I gave Luka a knowing look.