Questions

Malia

"Okay, so we know some psycho killer wants to emulate your psychotic half-brother," Abby said.

"But if the serial killer wanted to kill me, he had several opportunities in high school," I said.

"That's true. So, Luka's idea flew out of the window."

Luka rolled his eyes.

"Most serial killers lack empathy. A copycat models himself after the original killer. All we know about this person is they pose people like sculptures. The Lakewood Serial Killer kept mostly to young girls with dark hair."

I pondered all the clues. The killer picked different victims. He came from Chicago and had eluded Luka. Why would the killer come to Lakewood?

"Wait."

Abby and Luka looked at me.

"The serial killer eluded Luka for years. He studied the Lakewood Serial Killer's movements. What if he's trying to get our attention?"

"But we don't know if it's a he? What if it's a she?" Abby asked.

"You're assuming the killer is female. But what about the males we discovered. A male would have overpowered the female," Luka reasoned.

"Well, there goes my theory."

We were missing something. It was pertinent information. I retraced each murder and victim. Then I reflected on high school—the people we encountered.

I walked over to my phone and called Damon.

He answered on the third ring. Do you mind? I was busy.

"Doing what?"

Detroit, I was shifting through cold case files since you didn't listen to the Chief.

"Well, I need you to pull all the information on the Lakewood Serial Killer. Dad kept storage boxes after the courts convicted him."

That's a lot of evidence.

"Yeah, but we're missing key information."

Great. Niko will hurt me.

"Niko will be fine."

You owe me.

"Don't I always?" I hung up with Damon.

"I need to check-in at the Sheriff's office and deal with Gabe's wrath," Luka said.

I nodded. Abby stayed with me as Luka left. I had to track a serial killer while keeping what happened between Luka and me quiet. The last thing I needed was to complicate or jeopardize the case. But it isn't easy when old feelings resurface.

********
Luka

I drove to the sheriff's station and pulled in front of the building. I exited the vehicle and entered the station.

"You might as well head back." Charlie thumbed behind him.

I walked past him to the Chief's office. Gabe was finishing a phone call and pointed at a chair. I sat down as he hung up.

Gabe leaned back in his chair. "Explain to me why I shouldn't suspend you."

"Malia wanted to speak with the Lakewood Serial Killer."

"That wasn't your call, Luka. I specifically told you not to go to the prison. I captured the Lakewood Serial Killer. He has a way of rattling you that will cause you to make mistakes."

"I understand."

"I assigned you to lead to the case because I trust your instincts. Malia hasn't grasped the concept."