Chapter 12 | Changed Forever

Liz Walker POV

Early the next morning before school starts, Liz meets up with Claire by the lockers. Catching sight of the brunette walking towards her, Claire waves at Liz, greeting her with a smile. "There you are, Juliet! Are you ready to take the stage?"

Stopping before Claire, Liz shrugs, greeting her with a smile of her own. "Ready as I'll ever be."

"Great!" Claire exclaims, gleefully before closing her locker shut and grabbing onto Liz's wrist, leading her in the direction of the gymnasium. "Now, let's get moving before Ms. Janeth hunts you down. Wouldn't want you to show up late on your first day of practice. She will have your head if you do."

Before they reach the double doors of the gymnasium, Liz stops herself from going any further to the realization of Claire, who pauses in her tracks. With a quirk of an eyebrow, Claire turns to Liz in confusion. "What's wrong, Liz?"

"To be honest, I'm not really sure if I'm up for this, Claire. I mean you've been practicing for the role of Juliet more so than me, waaay before I came here and I feel like I've taken all that effort away from you. Doesn't it bother you?" Liz admits to the girl before her.

Claire's eyes widened, surprised by Liz's straightforwardness, then sighs, letting go of Liz's wrist and placing both hands on her hips. "I get where you're coming from, Liz and I have to admit, I am disappointed that I didn't get the part, but I can assure you that it doesn't bother me that you have the part because I know that you will put as much effort into it as I would. Much faith in you, I have, Liz Walker."

Liz blinks for a second then chuckles at her last words. "Did you just quote Master Yoda?"

"Indeed, I have," Claire replies, making both girls burst into giggles. Yesterday after school before training Jim in the evening, Claire invited Liz over to her place to watch movies after finding out who got the parts in the play Romeo and Juliet. A bet was made between them from their first hang out on who will get the part. Since Liz won, it was her turn to decide what to watch on their next hang out and she brought along the original Star Wars, one of her favorite movie series. It was thanks to her close friend in New Jersey who introduced her to the franchise and she's forever thankful of her for it.

"Besides, there's always next year. I overheard that we might do a musical on Beauty and the Beast next." Claire says, excited for the upcoming play. "I'm going to try out for the role of Belle."

"And you'll have my full support," Liz states, before grabbing Claire's hands with her own and smiling softly at her friend. "Seriously though...thank you, Claire. I promise I won't let you down." 

"Oh, I know." Claire grins, before wagging her pointer finger at Liz. "But don't thank me just yet. We're just getting started."

Liz laughs. "I suppose you're right."

With that, both girls push past the double doors, entering into the gymnasium. Standing before a foldable seat was Ms. Janeth, reading something on her clipboard before looking up when she heard the doors swing open. "Ah, Miss Walker, delightful to see you here bright and early. Are you ready to take your place among the stars?"

Liz and Claire grinned at each other before Liz finally replies. 

"Wouldn't miss it for the world."

***

It was half an hour later when they officially started practicing. Claire left Liz to meet up with her other friends just minutes before Jim entered the gymnasium, Liz waving to him in greeting from on stage.