Chapter 26 | An Offer He Can't Refuse

The following day, Liz skateboarded down the sidewalk, stopping nearby at the sight of Jim and Toby, who were waiting for the cars to pass. She kicks the tail-end of her skateboard into her hand and walks up to them. "Mornin', boys."

"Morning, Liz." Said boys greeted back, prompting Toby to speak up. "Say what we saw wasn't just an illusion, and they really did move it. How could we possibly find it?"

Once traffic was clear, they walked across the street as Jim replied. "Well, I don't think we're gonna be lucky enough to stumble on it again, Tobes. But one thing's for sure. That curator did not move it by herself."

"Maybe she had help!" Toby exclaimed. "Other changelings, perhaps?" 

Liz nodded. "Definitely. It could be anyone in Arcadia Oaks, even someone we know. But we need to find a way to reveal their true nature."

"How exactly are we going to do that?" Jim asked Liz, but just as she was about to reply, someone called out her name. "Liz!"

Turning around, Liz sees Claire jogging towards her. "Oh hey, Claire."

"Hey! What's up, Nunez?" Toby waved as Claire reached them. "Hey, Colby."

"It's Toby. Not that it matters. You can call me whatever you want." Toby leans on his bike nonchalantly before falling over, yelping. Before Liz could ask about Toby's wellbeing, Claire spoke up. "How are you feeling, Liz?"

"Well enough to return to school, unfortunately," Liz jokes.

"That's good because there has been a slight change in the play after we were looking for a certain someone." Claire glares over Liz's shoulder at Jim, who stands confused, pointing at himself. "You've been looking for me? Was it because I couldn't make it to rehearsal yesterday? Something kinda came up. Steve filled in. That's what understudies are for, right?"

Claire perked an eyebrow at Jim. "Uh, you haven't heard? Steve isn't the understudy anymore. You are. She's tired of you never showing up without an excuse, so she made Steve Romeo."

"No way!" Liz exclaimed as Jim argued. "Come on! But I memorized all my lines!"

"Doesn't matter. Ms. Janeth is on the warpath for you. I'd watch out." Claire warned Jim before tugging Liz along with her to their day's first class.

"Didn't Jim notify Ms. Janeth beforehand that he was going to miss rehearsal?" Liz asked. Claire sighs, shaking her head. "If he did, Ms. Janeth wouldn't have thrown a fit yesterday during rehearsal. Be grateful you were not there to see it, Liz. That woman is terrifying, and right now, she's out for blood – figuratively, I hope."

As the school bell rings, Liz glances over her shoulder, seeing Jim dash toward Ms. Janeth's classroom. Liz grimaced, seeing that Jim had math class with said teacher. 

Algebra + Ms. Janeth x Missing Rehearsals = Math Class of Doom. 

Yikes. Hope he makes it out alive.

***

After school, Liz catches up with a glum-looking Jim on her way out of campus. "Hey, Jim! I see you survived Ms. Janeth's "Math Class of Doom."

"And, now, she's given me a mountain of homework I hardly understand." Jim looked at the ground as she watched with a hint of concern.

"You know, what? I did honors algebra last year and was pretty okay at it. What if you came by the restaurant for a study sesh?" Liz offers, sweeping her hair back from her face as Jim stops his bike suddenly, shocked at the offer. "Wow! Really? Are you sure?"

"It's no problem at all. Since we both missed school yesterday, maybe we could work together on the classes we missed out on."

"But I don't want to trouble you more than I already have." Jim rubs his neck. 

"Oh, Jim, don't stress about it. I got your back, remember? We're in this together." Liz rested her hand on Jim's arm. He stares at her a moment until his lips curved into a smile, his once dull blue eyes shining bright under the afternoon sun. "Thanks, Liz."

For some unknown reason, seeing Jim's smiling expression sent a fluttering sensation to her stomach. Confused by her reaction, Liz pushes down the strange feeling and chuckled, lightly punching him.

"Come on, let's find Toby and get out of here. We have a changeling to catch."

Fandom Question: Who is your favorite changeling? Strickler, Nomura, or NotEnrique?

Please don't forget to vote or comment if you liked this chapter. I would love to hear what you all think. Happy reading!

- Miss_Nightingale