Chapter 27 | Attack of the Gaggletack

Walking through Trollmarket, Liz steps beside Blinky, listening in to Blinky's plan of finding proof of the existence of changelings. "The matter at hand, Master Jim...Master Jim?"

Noticing Blinky staring over his shoulder, Liz looks back to find Jim staring at her with a dazed look until AAARRRGGHH shouts behind him. "MASTER JIM!"

"Gah!" Jim screamed, jumping in surprise and looking back at Blinky. "Yes, sorry. Paying attention!" Then, at Liz, his gaze now cleared from his thoughts. "Paying attention."

Quickly Liz faces forward, trying to hide a faint blush crossing her cheeks behind her hair. What is wrong with her? Why is she getting flustered over a stare?

She shakes her head, patting her cheeks to rid of the flush though her action does not go unnoticed by Blinky, whose eyebrow raised at her reaction while continuing his plan. "As I was saying, assuming that Killahead Bridge was in Arcadia, and it was indeed, as you say, delivered to a clandestine location, that would mean more changelings, scavenging, assembling, and disassembling. If we prove that the museum curator wasn't working alone, then Vendel might start believing that you saw the Killahead Bridge."

"So, we find another changeling." Jim paraphrased it.

"Stop saying that so loudly." Blinky scolded. Once again, the same eavesdropper who was listening to them back in the pub stood nearby. "Do you mind?"

Schmidt rolls his eyes and walks away. Blinky scoffs, continuing in a softer tone. "Changelings have not been heard or seen in Trollmarket for centuries. The mere word could cause hysteria."

"Then how do we find one?" Jim asked as the group walked deeper into Trollmarket. AAARRRGGHH replies with a grin. "RotGut's."

"Woah." Jim and Toby gaped in wonder. The group enters through a large archway with a carved statue of a troll towards the back wall covered with colorful patterned engravings. Only two tiny doors stood out, one higher than the other. Liz smiled in delight at the place, having frequent there every so often to gather supplies and books to practice magic and announce its purpose. "Purveyor of fine charms, totems, and spells."

"Follow my lead." Blinky knocks on the iron door handle. A large gem-paned window moves open to reveal a giant blue eye. Rot, the first one to appear, spoke. "Ailment or curse?"

A door on the bottom opens as a green eye appears. Guts, the second troll, spoke out as well. "Oi, numbskull! I'm supposed to answer it!"

"But I already did answer it." Rot said, but Guts argued, closing his door even though he could still be heard. "What is not clear about. "I deal with the customers, you handle the wizardry"?"

Noticing the familiar face of their regular customer, Rot greeted. "Oh, hey there, Liz. Hold a tick."

He closed the window, and Blinky laughed, entertained. Liz shakes her head but smiles at the familiar bickering between the trolls. Jim and Toby glance at each other when suddenly the door opens again. "Good, Rot. Stick with that. Welcome to RotGut's. How may we service you?"

"Totem, my good troll. We suspect one of these humans may be a changeling."

"Hmm?" Rot hummed in question. He looks at the boys, but AAARRRGGHH appears behind them protectively. "Other humans."

Rot looked at Blinky and Liz, answering. "You're gonna need a gaggletack."

Gut chuckled. "Unfortunately, you see, we're running a bit short on those. Very hard to get."

"But I've got a bag of them right here." Rot said, calling out the lie.

"What in the world – If you'll excuse us for one moment." Gut panics before closing the door once again for privacy. "Ey, what are you doing? I'm trying to drive up the price over here."