Chapter 28 | Study Date

During her afternoon shift at the local bistro, Liz told Douxie about her study session with Jim later in the evening. Stunned by the news, his broom paused mid-sweep against the wooden flooring. "What? You're meeting him here?"

"Would you rather I invite him over to our place?" Liz asked, busily wiping down the long work table by the window, ignoring the stern glare from Douxie behind her. "You know the rules, love. I need not remind you what happened last time."

"Obviously, Doux." Liz rolled her eyes, remembering a time in New Jersey of a blonde boy with a jersey jacket who she was assigned to tutor though the boy had a different plan besides studying. "Honestly, I would have taken care of it until you walked in and scared him off."

He scoffed. "It was a good thing I was there, love. That chap didn't know a thing about personal boundaries and I was more than happy to remind him."

Liz sighed. "And I appreciate your protection, Doux, but like I said time and again, I had it under control. I was going to use magic to spook him off just before you ruined my chance of entertainment."

"Then you would be breaking rule number one – no magic around humans."

Liz paused, looking at Douxie with a perked eyebrow over her shoulder. "You're no fun, you know that?"

"I'm plenty of fun in many ways, love. You just have not seen it all." Douxie winked playfully though Liz was not amused.

"Whatever you say, old-timer," Liz said, finishing her cleaning. Douxie stomped his broom with a huff. "I'm not that old."

"Old enough to be my ancestor," Liz mumbled, walking back to the main bar.

"What was that?" Douxie asked, but Liz hastened her steps, calling out behind her. "Nothing!"

"Well, I look forward to meeting your study date!" Douxie shouts after Liz, only to receive a curt reply from a distance.  "Not a chance, Doux! And it's not a date!"

Safe behind the bar, Liz felt a buzz in her pocket. It was a text from Claire.

{Have fun on your study date with Jim! Tell me all about it later k <3}

Liz huffed at the message.

What's with everyone? It's not a study date!

***

After closing up the bistro early for the evening, Liz goes through her homework alone at one of the tables, relishing the quietness of the diner as she waits for Jim. Earlier, just before closing, she had to use magic on Douxie to get him out of the restaurant since he continued to be stubborn, insisting he should stay as a chaperone for their "study date". Having none of it, Liz was quick to use a floating spell to cast him out the door. Fortunately, there were no witnesses around to see the spectacle.

Archie would have found it comical. Liz thought, chuckling to herself while she glanced around the empty restaurant, only to pause at the sight of gift cards near the cash register as the memory of a white envelope Jim gave her came to mind.

"The answers. It's all in there."

The answers to her forgotten past. A missing piece in her life she has always wondered about for years, now finally answered in writing from a boy who she only just met not too long ago. What does he know? Liz thought curiously. Should she have kept the letter and read it?

Liz shakes her head. No, that letter represents Jim's last words unspoken to those close to him should he fall in battle. A letter she would never accept even if it contained the answers she sought. She would rather hear it all from the boy himself.