Chapter 15 | First Mission

Liz Walker POV

That same evening, Liz pays a visit to Heartstone Trollmarket, suspecting the reason for Jim's absence from the rehearsal had something to do with his training as Trollhunter. Hoping to find Blinky and AAARRRGGHH to get some answers, she walks into the pub and sees them drinking and chatting. Noticing her presence, Blinky lifted his cup, waving her over to their table. "Lady Liza! I have great news to share with you!"

"Really?" Liz says, sitting on a vacant seat across from them, crossing her arms on the table. "Do tell, Blink."

"Master Jim has been summoned for a mission. His first mission as the Trollhunter!" Blinky raised his hands in glee.

"Wow, that's great news! But what does it entail?" Liz asked as a troll approached their table, placing a mug of hot chocolate in front of her. She smiled gratefully and thanked the troll, who nodded before walking away. She glanced down at her cup, reminding her of the time when she used to live in Trollmarket. Back then, Douxie would often bring mixed packets of hot chocolate for Liz, and the bartenders of the pub would store it in the back for use whenever Liz came by their pub. An arrangement that is still active after her return from New Jersey. She smiled softly at the thought.

Bringing her back to the present, Blinky begins to explain as Liz blows softly in her cup and drinks, listening. "Bagdwella has alerted us of a gnome infestation in her shop, thus requiring the service of our Trollhunter to catch and exterminate it."

Liz placed down her cup on the table before her. "Hmm. A small task, but it's a start. I guess he has to start somewhere."

"My thoughts exactly! And I am confident that Master Jim will accomplish this task, even with or without his amulet." Blinky beams proudly. However, Liz quickly caught on to his last words, her eyebrows furrowed. "What do you mean with or without his amulet?"

Blinky grew still as all six of his eyes blew wide open, realizing what he had just said to the Guardian. His eyes turn towards Liz, whose narrowed eyes stare at him, unblinking as she repeats herself once more. "Blink...what do you mean with or without his amulet?"

"Stolen," AAARRRGGHH says. Instantly Liz shot up from her seat, almost spilling her drink and grabbing the attention of other trolls around them. "What do you mean stolen?! By whom?!"

"The gnome has it!" Blinky confessed immediately. Liz blinks for a moment before gradually settling down in her seat. "Oh. How did this happen?"

Blinky sighed, dragging his hands over his face before looking up at the Guardian. "Last night, when we went to investigate the matter, Jim was about to use his amulet to take care of it. Nimble as it was, the gnome grabbed the amulet and took it to its lair inside a hole in a wall. We're planning to shrink Jim so that he may be able to retrieve it as soon as he arrives."

So that's why Jim didn't show up to rehearsal last night. Liz thought to herself before coming to a stop at the word "shrink." "Shrink? How on Earth are you going to do that?" She knows nothing of magic that can make one shrink in size. She should ask Douxie about that later.

Blinky grinned with a glint in his eyes. "To answer that question, I shall reveal it to you once Master Jim and Tobias arrive."

Glancing down at her watch, Liz checked the time. "It's past sundown right about now. AAARRRGGHH, would you mind fetching them? They should be arriving soon."

AAARRRGGHH nods as Blinky reaches for the Horngazel and passes it to him. Once the giant troll is gone, Liz's expression turns serious when she looks at Blinky. "Blink, there's something I need to tell you. But this needs to be shared in private."