Chapter 40 | Bonded Revelations

Since the Adamant Oath had taken place, things were...different between the newly bonded champions.

Not only did the oath heal and free Liz of the cold iron dagger's curse as intended, but it also connected the champions in ways neither was prepared for.

It began with visions, shattering through each other's minds like glass, with each falling piece reflecting an untold story followed by unforeseen emotions, flooding through their unconscious minds like a tidal wave drowning them in its wake. Overwhelmed by the onslaught, they fell trembling to their knees, and heads grasped tightly in their hands with eyes screwed shut and painful groans escaping from their lips.

Multiple moving images of familiar and foreign memories played in Liz's mind: memories of the times and people she grew up and trained with, recently recovered memories of her childhood self laughing and playing in the woods with the boy next door, mixed with new, foreign images of what seems to be Jim's memories, including images of her past and present self through his eyes followed by affiliated emotions of anxiety, nostalgia, awe, longing, happiness, trust, and affection.

Unable to comprehend where one memory and emotion ends and the other begins, Liz tensed in concentration, bracing herself against the tides of torrential memories and flooding emotions as she mentally conjured a gate in hopes of maintaining control of their newfound connection in mind and with every mental strength she could muster, Liz finally closed the gate entirely before taking a sharp intake of breath.

Shaken by the raw experience, Liz took a moment to breathe until she gradually calmed down, becoming aware of her physical surroundings when she heard her name being called out from afar. Lifting her head, she first noticed Blinky standing beside her, calling her name, though it sounded muffled to her ringing eardrums.

Then, she heard it. "I-It's too much...I can't breathe."

Instantly, Liz felt a mental punch of rising panic mixed with traces of shock and nostalgia. Recognizing the emotions that were not hers, she snapped open her gaze, turning to the source kneeling just a few feet away as the trembling figure drew shallow breaths, his eyes screwed shut.

Letting her instincts take over, Liz takes Jim's trembling hands into her own as she mentally reopens the gate in her mind just enough to connect her thoughts with him. "Focus on my voice, Jim. Let go of everything around you. Block them if you have to. Just breathe. Take slow, deep breaths. Everything will be okay."

Honing into her calm, soothing voice, Jim mentally blocks the visions and emotions, all mixed with the old and familiar with the new and foreign, passing through his chaotic mind as he gradually slows his shallow breathing to a steady rate with each deep intake of breath.

"Yes, just like that. Focus only on your breathing, Jim. You're doing great."

Once Jim closed the curtains to the windows of passing memories and got his breathing under control after a while, Jim slowly opened his eyes, his blue gaze meeting her turquoise ones. "L-Liz?"

"I'm here." Liz softly smiled without speaking a word. Jim widened his eyes at this, realizing he could hear her thoughts in his mind as clearly as though she had spoken them.

"H-How, how is this happening? I can hear your voice inside my head."

"Oh?" Liz perked an eyebrow before shrugging a shoulder with a slight grin. "You must be hearing things."

Jim glared at her slightly. "Stop messing with me, Liz. What's happening to us? How can I hear you inside my head?"

"It's the effect of the Adamant Oath. We're bound to each other by our oaths. Therefore, we are connected, and in this case, this includes our minds. We can receive and project our thoughts, emotions, and memories to each other.