Chapter 13 | Saved By The Bell

Liz Walker POV

Another class ended as the school bell rang, signaling the beginning of recess. Since the announcement of Romeo and Juliet's final casting, Liz has been getting congratulations from several students, including Claire's friends, Mary Wang and Darci Scott. Even though Claire did not get the part, Claire showed support for Liz, which they respect as her closest friends.

Shaking off her thoughts on the play, Liz heads to the courtyard towards her designated locker. Opening it, she switched her books for the ones she needed for her following classes. Sensing a presence standing behind her open locker door, she speaks. "Is there something I could help you with..."

Having the books she needed, Liz closes her locker to reveal Jim, who smiles sheepishly as she turns to him. "...Jim?"

"Hey, yeah, I do need your help, actually. Uh, do you remember me mentioning my Spanish comprehensive exam coming up during dinner a few nights ago? I remembered that you said you can speak Spanish, and I was wondering if you could help me out?" Jim asked anxiously.

Liz chuckled. "I remembered, but I was just waiting for you to ask me again, in case you forgot. So yes, I'll help you."

Jim breathes a sigh of relief. "Thank you. I really need all the help I can get."

Placing a hand on her hip, Liz nodded. "No kidding. Not only are you busy with school, but also with training as well. Must be hard for you."

"You're definitely right about that," Jim says. "How do you do this?"

Quirking an eyebrow, Liz asks in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"How do you balance your life training as a Guardian while attending school?" Jim asked.

"Oh. Well, most of my training took place while I was homeschooled. That is until I moved to New Jersey and started attending actual school there. By then, I already had most of my training completed, so I've been mostly focused on school." Liz explained. Jim groans. "Lucky. Wish I was homeschooled."

Liz chuckled at his remark, shaking her head. "You say that now, but trust me, it gets really boring fast. Anyways, you're not alone in this. Don't forget to reach out when you need help like you just did, and you'll be fine."

"I'll be sure to remember that." Jim nods. Liz grinned. "Great. Now about your exam, I can help you study for it tonight since I have work after school. Is that okay?"

Jim responds. "Yeah, tonight's okay with me. I didn't know you were working."

"I work part-time at a restaurant in town. Mr. Benoit's French Bistro." Liz said. Jim immediately recognized the name. "Oh! I know that place. My mom likes getting her coffee from there."

Liz chuckled. "Funny, that's where Barbara and I first met before she invited me over for dinner to get to know you since she learned that we're attending the same school together."

Jim's eyes widened in realization. "So that's how Mom met you. I've been wondering this whole time."

"Yups. In fact, she suggested that you should give me a tour one day of Arcadia Oaks since I'm new to the neighborhood." Liz said with a side smile. Jim laughed. "More like the opposite. You've been literally giving me a tour of a secret world right beneath our feet."

Liz quickly brings a pointer finger to her lips, looking around them for anyone within hearing distance. "Shhh. Don't mention that here. Someone might hear you."

Immediately, Jim covers his mouth with his hand. "Ah, sorry."

The brunette sighs. "Where do you want to meet tonight?"