Chapter 23 | Rematch

Liz Walker POV

Liz could only stare after Jim as he walked away.

"Promise, Lizzie." 

His words echoed in her ears, a sense of deja vu washing over her. Those two words sound so familiar. She's heard of it before once but cannot remember when.

Standing perplexed, Liz looks down at the white envelope in her hand, curious about the words inside. Answers that may hold to her lost memories. 

Running her finger across her name in Jim's handwriting, she then reluctantly pockets it inside the inner pocket of her denim jacket, reminding herself that she would rather wait for Jim to share it with her face to face. If Jim can make it through this match, that is. She shakes her head of the negative thought. No, he will. She believes in him.

Again, Vendel's voice boomed, disturbing her thoughts. "Draal, son of Kanjigar, son of Tarigar, Draal the Destroyer, come forth."

Looking back out between the teeth of the wooden gate, Liz watches a rolling form appear from the opposite entrance, spotlights catching him as he ends his rolling, flipping madly in the air, and lands after his incredible little stunt. He roars and laughs at the crowd, throwing up his hands as his people cheer. Liz shakes her head, rolling her eyes. Always a show-off, that one.

Walking over to the gang, she stops nearby Jim and AAARRRGGHH as the Krubera troll places a heavy hand on Jim's shoulder, none too gently, but Jim seems to appreciate it, grinning at his troll friend. Then, Blinky steps in. "It's time to put everything we've ever said to you to practice. With a little luck, he'll trip and fall. Now, tell me: rule one."

"Always be afraid," Jim answered.

"Rule two."

"Always finish a fight."

"Rule three?"

"About that. I was reading, when the Venerable Bedehilde fought the Hydrabeast, there were no gronk-nuks, but there was a weakness under its scales." Jim explained.

"You read the book?" Blinky asked quickly, a look of surprise spread across his face.

"So that got me thinking of looking into other weaknesses that trolls may have besides gronk-nuks. Plus, Liz helped me in understanding Draal's weaknesses last night." Jim turns to Liz, giving her an appreciative grin.

"He read the book. He read the book!" Blinky hugged Jim tightly before lifting him off the ground.

"Books tasty," AAARRRGGHH added.

Vendel once again resumes his announcement. "And now, Draal's combatant, James Lake Jr., son of...Ba-bu-rah. Come forth, human Trollhunter."

With a steady whir, the wooden gate receded, opening the entry into the arena. Jim took a deep breath and entered, ignoring the crowd's harsh booing sounds.

"Fight from your heart, Master Jim! It's strong, stronger than any rock!" Blinky shouted to Jim, hoping that it would reach him. Suddenly, the wooden gate slammed closed, separating them away from Jim. Blinky then began to whisper to himself. "And certainly, stronger than mine."

Liz glances at Blinky sadly before turning her eyes toward the arena.

"Prepare for battle," Vendel announced. Draal smashed his fists into the ground, letting out a loud roar. Saying the incantation, Jim held up the amulet, activating his armor and sword appearing in his hand.

"Here we go. I am doing this." Jim said to himself, taking a fighting stance.

"Begin!" Vendel shouted at last as the crowd cheered with renewed vigor.