Chapter 35 | Skydiving with a Stalkling

"Great rehearsal. Memorize, memorize. Opening night's just around the corner, thespians." Ms. Janeth said happily as everyone exited the gymnasium into the courtyard, the sky noticeably darkened by heavy, overcast. A feeling of foreboding chilled Jim to the bone as he stared at the sky, his eyes wandering frantically in search of the stalkling. That is until he felt a hand on his shoulder from behind, grabbing his attention.

"Do you have a ride home?" Liz asked, noticing how shaken her childhood friend was.

"Oh, yeah, yeah. My mom's picking me up. I just..." Jim rubbed the back of his neck as he glanced nervously at the sky. "Maybe we could keep each other company."

"Okay," Liz replied, watching Jim flinch at the rustling sound of fallen leaves dancing in the blowing wind. "Are you all right, Jim?"

He looked down at her. "Uh, yeah, just, um... I'm worried about the weather."

"Right. I know today hasn't been easy for you, but you need to know that — "

Suddenly, Jim's phone rang, interrupting Liz, and he picked it up. It was Barbara. "Hey, it's me. I have to stay a little late at the clinic." 

"What?" Jim exclaimed as lightning cracked in the skies above, making him flinch and accidentally press the speaker button, letting Liz overhear the conversation.

"I know, I know. We'll still celebrate, I promise. But some knucklehead crashed his Vespa, and I have to work up the x-rays. You have your bike. Can you find your way home by yourself?" Barbara asked as Jim put his hand to his head in panic. By himself? He's going to die!

Stepping beside Jim, Liz replied. "Hey, Barbara, it's Liz. I can accompany Jim to his place if that's okay?"

"Oh, Liz! Yes, that would be great. Thank you! I'll be home in a few. Just no funny business, okay, you two? Okay, gotta go," Barbara said before hanging up.

"Well, there you go. Problem solved."Liz smiled at Jim, then proceeded towards her parked motorbike, unlocking the chains and swinging herself onto it. Jim stared at Liz in astonishment before shaking his head and chasing after her. "Wait! I can't let you accompany me! What if the stalkling perceives you as a threat and targets you?"

Liz chuckles in her seat, glancing over her shoulder at the boy with a raised brow. "I am your Guardian, Jim, or did you forget, Trollhunter?"

Before Jim could reply, Liz shoves a waiting hand towards him, her cool turquoise eyes prompting him to take it. "Do you trust me?"

Jim gapes at her momentarily, his blue eyes switching from hers to her awaiting hand, then back. With a slight grin, he takes it. "Always."

With a beaming smile that seems to lighten the darkness of the storm, Liz pulls Jim onto her motorbike behind her, intertwining his hands in front of her waist. "Better hold on tight, then. It's going to be a bumpy ride."

And with that, Liz started her bike, and off they went as a dark figure flew after them from above. She could feel the arms and hands tighten around her abdomen when streetlights began to black out by the worsening weather.

"I have a bad feeling about this," Jim mutters behind Liz. In the corner of her eyes, she notices him pulling out his phone and calling Toby. Suddenly, a crack of lightning followed by a growl sounded behind them. "It's behind us! Quick, quick, step on it!"

"Hold on!" Liz shouts and immediately speeds up, making swift turns across town to put distance between them and their stalker. Finally, Toby answered the phone, but Jim beat him to it. "Tobes, this thing is following me and Liz! Help us!"

Hanging up, Jim glanced over his shoulder in search of the Stalkling as Liz drove into the Arcadia Oaks Bridge. "Sixteenth birthday, but do I get a Vespa? No. I get a food processor and a killer flying troll!"