Chapter 30 | Undercover Babysitters

As dusk rolls in across Arcadia Oaks, Liz drives up to a two-story Victorian house. Parking her motorbike in front of the residence, she walked up the front steps towards the door and knocked.

"Coming!" A voice shouted from inside. Sounds of footsteps raced to the door, and it opened, revealing an excited Claire. "Liz! You're here early! But wait..." Claire looks behind the brunette in confusion. "Where's your boyfriend?"

Liz blinked. Boyfriend? Boyfriend! Feeling warmth growing in her cheeks, Liz coughed. "Not-my-boyfriend is on his way."

Claire smirked at her friend's reaction. "For now, Liz. For now. Anyways, come on in."

Liz enters inside, first noticing a blonde-haired baby on a doorway jumper. "Hey there, my little padawan! Remember me?"

Immediately, Enrique giggled, greeting Liz with a partially toothless grin. Claire laughs, closing the door behind her. "Of course, he does, after all, that mischief you taught him to do."

"Ah, troublemaker this one is." Liz smiles, bending down to Enrique's level and reaching out a hand to his hair. Upon touching his head, Liz instantly sensed something strange. Her smile dropped slightly.

"I'm going to get Enrique something to eat. Do you want anything?" Claire asked on her way to the kitchen down the hall. Liz stood up, shaking her head. "I'm good for now, thanks."

"Okay, but feel free to help yourself if you do," Claire said, disappearing into the kitchen. Liz turns her attention to the baby, who giggles, bouncing in his jumper. Something's off about Enrique. It's the same feeling she gets when she first encounters Strickler and Nomura. Like a tingling sensation coursing through her body as if trapped and wanting to be released.

Bending down to the baby's level, she closely examines Enrique, examining for anything out of the norm. He looked the same since she last saw him, but the tingling feeling she got from being near him made her doubt. Before she could suspect anything, Claire returned from the kitchen, carrying a bowl of chunky baby food.

"Well, doesn't that look appetizing," Liz said, grimacing as she peered into the bowl. Claire rolls her eyes at her sarcasm. "You can have some if you want."

"Nah, I don't want to steal lil' Rique's dinner." Liz chuckled. Bending down next to her friend, Claire begins feeding Enrique, who chews playfully at his food. Suddenly there was a knocking on the door, followed by a familiar voice. "Hey, guys!"

Claire doesn't stand to get the door, continuing to feed Enrique. "That must be your soon-to-be-boyfriend. You should answer that."

Rolling her eyes, Liz quickly stands and heads to the front door, ignoring the giggles behind her. Opening it, she was greeted by Jim holding up an iron horseshoe.

"Jim! Put that away before she sees it!" Liz whispered frantically. Realizing his mistake, Jim shoves the gaggletack into his satchel. Once the object is hidden, Liz steps aside to let the boy in. "Sorry. I'm not late, am I?"

Liz shook her head. "Not at all, just in time, actually."

"Perfect, you're both here. I put his routine up on the fridge. After playtime, you just have to put him down. He's a good sleeper." Claire instructed.

"On the fridge. No problemo." Jim said, placing down his satchel on the floor. Claire pulls out a paper note from her green purse. "Phone numbers are here for emergencies."

Standing up, Claire hands the note to Liz with a stern look. "Whatever you do, do not call my parents first."

"Oh, because they don't know you're going to the concert, do they?" Liz asked with a teasing smile.