Chapter 37 | Arrogance Gets You Killed

Third POV

Compared to the bustling streets of downtown Arcadia Oaks, the activity within the museum lies dormant. Though appearing mundane to the outside world, the secrets it holds within were unorthodox as two dark figures conversed privately in the shadows, each standing on opposing sides between the Darklands and the surface world.

After Bular agrees with his father's plan to test Strickler, Gunmar continues. "There is another matter..." A single eye narrowed malevolently. "What has become of the Guardian?"

"The girl has returned as foretold, though her powers are weak compared to before. But she has become a nuisance, protecting and training the boy." Bular mouth twisted in a malicious grin. "But Stricklander believes the boy has affection for the girl."

"The Trollhunter's weakness. Good." The dark warlord nodded approvingly. "I have something I want to give you, my son, that would help you defeat the Guardian."

"What is it, father?"

"A weapon," Gunmar says, thrusting his fist forward, piercing through the smoky veil that separates him from freedom. Opening his hand, a sharp object fell into his son's hands. Within his grasp, Bular beholds a dagger of metallic luster carved unevenly from a rock of steel grey with marbling resembling gold. A fool's gold. "The Enervare Dagger. Created by the Dark One."

Bular glanced at his father with wide eyes. "The Dark One? I thought it was just a myth? A scary bedtime story for younglings."

"No. It is as real as you and I," Gunmar stated. "A dark sentient who rivals the gods with dark powers one could ever dream of. It bestowed this to me upon chance in the Darklands, saying that it would weaken her powers enough to leave her vulnerable. Though I found its request strange, it required one thing in return."

"What is it?"

"To bring the Guardian to it in the Darklands," Gunmar growled disdainfully.

"Alive."

Liz Walker POV

With emotions running high, Liz teleported herself to an empty alleyway from the school girls' bathroom. She exited onto the street, where passing cars and pedestrians go about their typical day in town. Liz released a heavy groan, emphasizing her stress over figuring out how to get rid of the totem from Jim without harming him. She cannot magically remove it from his person unless it is by Gumm-Gumm magic.

"What's got you all riled up, sprite?" A familiar female voice asked nearby. Liz looks at the speaker, her ocean eyes meeting the lightest of blue ones, highlighted by thick mascara. Her short pink hair contrasted with her dark attire of mixed punk and goth. Despite it all, Liz was not in the least intimidated but, in fact, most comfortable in her presence as she quickly hugged the older girl. "Z! Oh my gosh, am I glad to see you!"

It was three years since Liz had last seen Zoe before she moved to New Jersey with Douxie. The punk-goth girl looked the same as she did back then, though the only difference was their height gap being shorter since Liz's growth spurt in recent years.

"Likewise. You've gotten taller." Zoe smiled, rubbing a hand over the brunette's head, affectionately messing her hair. Liz releases her, stepping back to fix her hair as she looks at the hedge witch with a happy grin. "How are you? I haven't seen you in a long while."

The punk-goth girl shrugged. "Bored as always, fixing people's technological junk, but it pays the bills. How about you? Heard you got yourself tied up with a certain troll nimrod."

"Trollhunter, Z," Liz laughed. "Doux sure likes to gossip, doesn't he? Anyways, it's true, and I got my hands full with training and impending evil on the rise."