Chapter four- Oxytocin and Cortisol

Skylyn's POV

"I'm not trusting you. Last time I told you something, you gave the notes to the exterminator" Yolanda sighs, "She sent her men to steal my notepad. I didn't give them to her, we can start over. The flood wet most of my papers so I don't have anything to go off of." I shake my head and she sighs again. "Look, I just want to do my job and help you out. This time I'll hide the notes in a safe. Okay?" She says, I shrug. "I guess, but if the notes get leaked again you can forget about our sessions." Yolanda smiles and nods. "So how are you feeling?" I shrug, "I'm overheated, There is no space for me to cool down and reflect on what has been happening. For God's sake, I'm on a submarine headed to Russia." Yolanda writes on her notepad, "Who are you the closest to?"

Jamari's POV

"My m-mommy," I say with a huge smile on my face. She smiles and nods, "Is Miya a good mom?" I furrow my eyebrows, "Miya isn't my m-m-mom." She stops writing and looks up at me with confusion, "So who is your mom?" I point behind her, "Her n-name is Layanna and she's behind you."

Yolanda's POV

I gulp quietly and nod. I keep my eyes on Jamari, not daring to look back. "Okay, why are you two so close?" I ask. He stops looking at me and starts spinning the wheels of his car, "She t-t-talks to m-me at n-n-night time." He says. I nod and take out a book from my desk, "Can you write down your conversations whenever you talk to her in this book?" I suggest. Jamari nods, "Great. Has the flood affected you in any kind of way?"

Doriam's POV

"It scared me, I've always imagined myself dying a tragic death like murder or an airplane accident but, drowning deep in the ocean somehow was the scariest scenario for me. When I saw Jamari on the ground not being able to breathe,"

Jayvin's POV

"I got flashbacks, I wasn't able to save him from the coma and I almost wasn't able to save him from what happened here. I am the best cardiothoracic surgeon in the world but I couldn't save him. That's the reason why I distance myself from him. I feel guilty." I say. "If you could go back in time and change one thing...what would you change?"

Jeury's POV

"I'd run faster. I'd run like never before. Maybe then I'd be able to save my family. Maybe then I wouldn't be in this situation. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that my mom is alive and that there is a chance that my sister is as well but... I lost everything." I say as a knot forms in my throat.

Miya's POV

"Jeury cares for Jamari, he just feels responsible for what happened to him. First the coma then the mental defects, he feels like he failed as a father. He failed to protect. He failed as a man."

Skylyn's POV

I walk out of Yolanda's office and make my way to the dojo. We all get there and we stand behind a white line. "Today the kids are excused because the adults are going to be fighting for their lives. A fight that if won will grant them this." She pulls out a golden ticket with three big bold letters on it. "A sex pass." I snicker as the eyes of Jayvin, Jeury, and my dad light up. "Three rounds, The first round is physical, the second is mental, and the third is the resistance of both." They all nod and the exterminator hands the ticket to svick. "Here we have a circle, you three will be inside and the last one in the circle will earn the first three points. The second person out of the circle will get their first point. Get ready." The guys stand in the circle looking at each other intently. "I th-th-think Jayvin will win." Jamari says as he drinks some soda, "I think Jayvin and Jeury are going to double team, my dad," We look up and watch Jeury and Jayvin push my dad out of the circle without having to communicate with each other. "What did I say?" Jamari laughs and leaves the room. I furrow my eyebrows and follow him. I peek around the corner and see him talking to the wall. What is he doing?