Chapter nine- Surface Tension

Halley's POV

It's been a few weeks since my mother's passing and I've been doing better, I guess? You never truly recover from losing a parent. I still blame him though. You now, Jeury. If it weren't for his savior complex, we wouldn't be in this mess. Skylyn would be fine, my mom would be fine, and we would've avoided so much unnecessary trauma. But at the same time, I can't blame him because if it were my sister's life on the line I'd do anything to save her. I just need time to let the dust settle. How much time? I don't know. We decided the best thing to do was like Jeury said, throw the body in the water but before we did that we paid our respects. And by "we" I mean, Myself, Doriam, Autumn, and the twins. Jayvin has been locked in his room since it happened, only opening the door for the food baggies that Svick would leave in front of his door. Everything is falling apart. We are split. Jayvin and I as a team, while Doriam and Damien are on a team, while Skylyn and Svick are on a team, Jamari and Elijah are on a team, Jeury and Miya are on a team, while Autumn and Sebastian are on a team. There's no unity. Something tells me that this fallout will cost us our lives in Russia and I'm not looking forward to it. "We're here." The captain says. I furrow my eyebrows, "already?"

A few weeks earlier

Halley's POV

"We stand here in solidarity paying tribute to a strong woman. Not just any woman though. Ashlin Dewaun. My mom. The woman that shaped me into the woman I am now. We've been through hell and back these past few years and honestly, you were my fuel."

Flashback

"The person I chose as a role model is my mom. She is funny, hardworking, and smart. I want to be just like her when I grow up." I say with a proud smile on my face. "Good job Halley, you can sit down."

End of flashback

"The only thing that was stopping me from faking my death was you. I didn't want you to grieve over someone you didn't lose. I'm sorry for all the pain I caused you. I'm sorry for taking away your fuel"

Flashback

Dear Halley,

I miss you so much. The days pass and they don't seem to get any better. What did I do to deserve this? There are so many things we didn't get to do and so many things I wish we didn't do. All those pointless arguments. Nights of anger... I know I wasn't the best mother but trust me I was trying my best. I robbed you of having a father figure. Not only did I cause Kartik to leave but...I pushed your real dad away...Forgive me, babe. I didn't mean to ruin your life...Mine just keeps on getting worse and I don't know how much more of this havoc I'll be able to withstand. With that being said, let this note be my goodbye to you. Let this note be the bridge you need to reach the heavens.

Sincerely, Ashlin.

I lay on the ground with blood falling down my face. I used to have a reason to keep on living but...now? The need to rest overpowers the need to survive.

End of flashback 

"Thank you for everything you did mom." My voice breaks, "I love you so so so much."

Flashback

"I'll never leave your side Halley," My mom says with a huge smile on her face. I laugh, "I know mommy, superheroes can't die!" She nods and smiles, "that's right. Superheroes can't die."

End of flashback

Doriam opens the escape hatch and Sebastian picks up the body. He brings her body closer to the hole and holds her up like a puppet. "Just kidding, I'm aliveee" Sebastian says as he moves my mom's mouth. Doriam hits Sebastian on his arm and Skylyn tries to hold in her laugh. My jaw drops and I try my best to be angry but I can't. I let out a loud laugh. One of those laughs that are insatiable. Sebastian laughs nervously and drops my mom in the water. The laughter stops and reality sets in like the sun at dawn. My mom is...dead...