Chapter 20

You walk one of the longest shopping streets in the city with Megumi; Togoshi Ginza Shotengai.

The entire area filled with aromatic smells of savory foods and layered with a hint of sweet. This district held more than 400 stores but is mostly known for its many different croquette shops.

The street was currently littered with myriads of different people passing. Some in business suits, some were elderly, some walking their dogs (in strollers), some bicycling through and many young mothers stroll by with their mamachari.

"Mmm!" You bite into the azuki filled taiyaki that sits nicely in your hands, "So good!"

Megumi chews his vegetable croquette as the two of you continue down the road; both trying to avoid running your arms into someone else's—it was crowded.

"Thanks for coming with me!" You smile at the boy.

You'd been wanting to walk the busy streets of Tokyo but Utahime and Shoko seem to be much busier around this season (but Shoko's always busy). Satoru, also has not been back from his business trip. The two of you had spoke briefly about a day ago or so, but the man didn't say much. He only reassured you that he'd be back soon.

"Sorry Dad couldn't accompany you." The teen takes another bite of his fried food, "He always has unexpected meetings."

"This is fine." You say, "I'd much rather be here with you anyway."

"I could say the same."

You both laugh.

After gadding around some food stalls and miscellaneous shops, the two of you run into a couple of Megumi's schoolmates; which were girls. You then learn a few things about the boy that not only surprises you, but things that you'd least expect.

"Who knew a nerd like you is actually a big bully." You tease.

The raven-haired kid clicks his tongue, "I'm not a bully."

"Beating people up to the point the majority of the school is actually afraid of you?" You laugh, "Bully."

"They deserved it." The boy shrugs, he appears indifferent.

"Well, I gotta say, I'm glad you stuck up for the people who aren't able to stick up for themselves." You pat him on the shoulder, "Very commendable of you. You're like the school hero."

Megumi clicks his tongue again, "Please don't call me that."

"Why not?"

"Life can be unfair. Good people deserve a chance. I help because it's my own selfish and irrational desire and for this reason I'll never consider myself a hero."

You smile, "You truly are beyond your years, Megumi. But that's debatable. Let me remind you that a good deed is never truly selfless. Think about it. When people do good things for others, in a sense it makes the person feel good. And sometimes these people do good things in order to make themselves not only feel good but look good. That in itself is somewhat selfish. Because their intentions were solely about themselves from the beginning. At the same time it's a win-win situation. So, does it mean that we shouldn't do good things? Just because it's somewhat selfish?"

Megumi's lips curve downward and he nods in approval, "And here I thought that I'd be the one teaching you something again today."

"Who knows?" You shrug and then you smile, "Maybe you will."

The walk continues in some silence.

Until Megumi speaks again, "Did you have adequate time to mull things over?"