Chapter 43

Toji trudges into his home. The man presses his back against the front door to close it and then he stays there for a moment. He groans softly as his hand goes to the ache on his shoulder. 

Megumi saunters down the stairs. You think the boy would show some concern for his father, who is currently covered in dirt and blood.

The teen reaches the last step and then the boy sizes the man up, "You look like shit."

As always, there are no warm welcomes here at the Fushiguro's. As estranged as it may seem this pattern of behavior has become quite habitual and nothing short of normal for the two.

Toji grumbles, "Fuck off."

Megumi continues to walk past his father and then the boy dares remind the man about his recent misconduct towards him. He says provokingly, "Karma."

Toji runs his tongue over his teeth. He tries to keep composure. His voice is thick with irritation, "You better hope karma slaps you before I do."

But when was the man not slapping him? And not figuratively speaking either. Hasn't Toji learned by now? That Megumi (usually) has the last word.

The boys voice grows softer the further he walked away, "A boomerang returns back to the person who throws it."

Toji reaches down. He picks up a shoe and hurls it at the boy. The footwear smacks against the back of Megumi's head with such great force that Tsumiki likely heard the reverberations from her room on the second floor.

Megumi's hand goes up to the abused area immediately and the boy whips around to his father. His brows furrow in aggravation, "Was that really necessary?!"

In Toji's mind, it's always necessary. The man loves discipline in many forms and on many levels. He smirks at his son and then he says in a mocking manner to let the boy know that it won't be coming back to get him, "Sorry, not a boomerang."

Had Toji finally gotten through to his son? Did he finally get the last word? Megumi clicks his tongue. Instead of heading to the kitchen, he walks back towards his father.

The green-eyed man arches a brow and he smirks with anticipation. It doesn't matter how beat he is, he'll throw his hands up again if he needed to. But all Megumi does is walk around Toji and the boys hand goes to the knob of the door.

"Where the hell do you think you're going?"

Megumi opens the door halfway before he looks at his father. The boy sizes him up again, "We ran out of antiseptics and bandages."

Now Toji feels like an ass. He throws a shoe at his son when all the boy wanted to do was take care of him. Toji looks down at his hand which lay against his abdomen. It was soaked in his blood. The man manages a, "Thanks."

"Well, you're old, Dad." Megumi says frankly. The boy doesn't care if his directness will earn him another shoe to the head, "You take longer to heal. Wouldn't want you getting sepsis. Cause you'd likely die."

"Just fucking leave will you!" Toji kicks the boy out and then he slams the door shut.