Chapter 5

I wake in the morning and for a few seconds I'm at peace. But then I open my eyes and the harsh reality of the past few hours comes back.

My own brother sold me. He never helped when it came to our father but I had always hoped he'd be a better man. Guess I was wrong.

But for some reason, I'm not being treated like a captive. At least not really. No ropes or dank basement cells. Just a mansion and nearly a hundred men with guns.

The room Luca told me is mine is gorgeous. There is a queen sized bed with a mountain of pillows. There's a desk and chair on one side, flanked by built-in bookshelves, and a dresser on the other side of the room. There is an en-suite bathroom and a walk in closet that is completely empty.

I get out of the comfortable bed and walk over to the bathroom. After I do my business I do my best to tame my hair and wipe the smudged makeup off from under my eyes. I close my eyes and breathe deeply, trying to force my nerves to quiet, and when I open my eyes I scream.

Standing in the doorway of the bathroom is no other than Luca. His hands are in the pockets of his suit pants and he leans casually against the doorframe, just watching me.

"I didn't mean to scare you," he says as he pushes off the wall. He grabs something off the floor and holds it behind his back.

"What do you want?" I ask, way harsher than I meant for it to be. His eyebrows shoot up in surprise but a smirk quickly covers his face.

"Come back out to your room," he says before turning away.

I follow after him and he places a large black box on the bed. He turns to me with a smile on his face before motioning to the box.

Why is he smiling? What the hell is in the box? Is it an explosive? Is it a fucking head? Shit maybe it's some kind of gas.

"Open it," he says, although it's not quite a command.

I do as he says and slowly lift the top off of the box. I look confusedly at the contents before looking at him again.

"Do you like it?" He asks, seemingly nervous. He shifts his weight between his feet and scratches the back of his neck.

I pull the white sundress out of the box and hold it up in front of me. It's gorgeous and somehow my size. Under the dress in the box are a pair of new underwear, a new bra, new sandals and bathroom supplies.

He seems nervous. Like he actually cares what I think. It's beyond confusing. Never in a million years would I think that Don DiSilva would be nervous about a girl. And never would I have thought that I would be that girl.

This is not what I expected from him at all. He is cold and calculated, everyone knows that. So whatever this act is that he's putting on with me has to be part of a grander scheme.

"It's very nice," I say as I fold it, "thank you."

A wide smile spreads over his face and it stirs up warmth inside me.

"Get dressed and meet me back in the dining room," he says before he takes his leave.

Immediately, I shower off the grime of being kidnapped. Since the big guy manhandled me I've felt utterly dirty. I bask in the hot water for as long as I can before wrapping a towel around myself.

Hesitantly I change into the lingerie and dress Luca brought me and toss my old clothes on top of the dresser. I use the new toothbrush before fixing my hair.

When I open the door to my room there is a man standing there with a machine gun. He turns to face me when the door opens. He doesn't say anything and neither do I.