Chapter 25

As soon as we are inside the compound, Luca comes to a stop and smiles down at me. His wet hair has fallen into his face but he makes no effort to move it. His bright eyes meet mine and I match his grin.

The rain has soaked through both of our clothes. His button down is stuck to his chest and the swirling black ink that covers his torso is visible through the now sheer fabric. I have to make a conscious effort to not stare at his firm muscles.

"Dio sei bella," he says.
(God you're beautiful)

"You're not too bad yourself," I reply with a newfound confidence.

"Sir!" a man jogs over to us.

"What?" Luca asks, still looking at me.

"We're having a hard time..." the young man trails off.

"Figure it out," Luca finally turns to look at him.

I can see the change, an almost immediate shift in him. One second he's smiling at me like I'm the only girl in the world and in a blink he looks ready to murder.

"What's wrong?" I ask, looking to Luca for the answer.

He sighs and runs his hand down his face. He glares at the young soldier before looking at me again.

"Elle is a difficult baby," he tells me.

"Who's watching her?" I ask. I hadn't really thought about it before but there are almost no female workers here. Sure men can take care of children, but mafiosos?

"Antonio's fianco team," he tells me, gesturing to the man next to us.
(Side)

"I'll put her to sleep," I offer the young man.

His shoulders slump in relief and he offers me a small smile, "thank you so much."

"You don't have to do that," Luca tells me. I take off his jacket and hand it back to him.

"I want to," I reply.

He smiles at me, "I'll see you later then piccolo angelo."

I follow the young soldier through the compound. The amount of armed men standing around is a bit overwhelming. The wails of Elle can be heard before we even get to her room.

The young man opens the door and I am horrified. Another man, basically the size of a house, is holding Elle in the air with his arms fully extended. She is screaming so much her face has turned red.

I rush over and take her from his hands. I bounce her in my arms and glare at the brute. Elle quiets down and her shrill screeches are replaced with content babble.

"How the fuck did you do that?" the one who walked me here asks. I just shrug and walk around the room.

It's honestly a very sad nursery. The walls are a bare white and the curtains are the same. There is a simple crib and changing table. I open the drawers in curiosity and there are a few white onesies, a box of diapers and a couple packs of wipes. That's it. Not even a fucking teddy bear.

"When was the last time she ate?" I ask. The two men look at each other but say nothing.

"Are you fucking kidding me? You don't remember when you last fed her?" I ask.

"Early," the brute replies with a slow nod, as if that answer is sufficient.

I roll my eyes before looking back down at Elle. She has settled into a curious babble as she looks around the room.

"Can you bring me to the kitchen please?" I ask the man who brought me here. He nods, stepping into the hallway and I follow behind.

Little Elle waves at everyone as we pass, enamored by all the new faces. There is practically no one in the dining room as we walk through.

I go right over to the fridge and pull out some yogurt. I open almost every drawer in search of the utensils. It always feels like the drawer I need is the last one I open. I finally find a small spoon and return to the dining room.

I take my normal seat but with Elle on my lap. The man awkwardly stands off to the side, just watching me. I feed Elle for the first time in who knows how long.

She smiles up at me with yogurt covering her face and the front of her onesie. I take a napkin from the table and gently wipe off her face. She yawns and stretches out her little arms and legs.

"She should take a nap," I tell the silent man. He nods in agreement and leads me back to the nursery.

Luca and the brute are talking when we walk in. Luca saunters over to meet me at the crib. I gently lay Elle down and cover her with a small blanket. Her eyes flutter for only a moment before she is fast asleep.

"What is this?" I ask him, gesturing to the room.

"It's a nursery," he replies with furrowed brows.

"No, this is depressing," I tell him, "she needs clothes and toys."

"Make a list and it will all be here by morning," he replies.

"She needs a nanny," I add.

"I have my men watching her," he gestures to the two men. I glance at them and they are both cowering away from the discussion.

"They hold her like you'd hold a bag of dog shit," I cross my arms over my chest.

"Fine," he groans, "I'll hire a fucking nanny."

"And don't curse in front of the baby," I scold.

"Whatever you say piccolo angelo," he smiles at me.

"Until he hires a nanny, if you have issues getting her to sleep come find me," I instruct the men. They both nod in understanding.

"Assumerò una nonna vecchia e rugoso," Luca tells me with his brows furrowed.
(I'm going to hire some old, wrinkly grandmother)

"Why?" I laugh.

"They know what they're doing," he replies, "plus non mi si gettano da soli."
(They won't throw themselves at me)

"So you don't want a pretty, young girl that's good with kids?" I scoff. I figured a young nanny would be every Don's dream.

"Ne ho già uno," he smiles.
(I already have one)

My cheeks burn red and I turn from him to look down at Elle. He always knows exactly what to say to make my insides melt.