Chapter 7

Luca introduces me to Giovanni and Vinny, two of his consiglieres who will apparently be guarding me.

I'm not quite sure why I have to be guarded. Maybe it's to ensure I don't run away. While that thought is tempting, and I'm still pretty upset that I was kidnapped, I don't think I'd actually try it.

I think I'm more annoyed with myself than anything. I've been letting Luca's good looks and way with words get the best of me. He is a monster, plain and simple. And I shouldn't forget that just because he's shown me some kindness.

He's playing a game, I have to remind myself. He has an end goal to the way he treats me and I need to figure out what that is.

No man is this nice for no reason.

I'm sitting on one of the couches in the library flipping through a book. Vinny is standing in the doorway, absentmindedly scrolling on his phone. Gio is sprawled out on the couch across from me with his eyes closed and if it wasn't for him opening and closing his knife I would think he's asleep.

Vinny is short relative to the rest of the men around but he's just as built. His short black hair is slicked back and his brown eyes are stuck in a glare.

Gio has striking blonde curls that he can't seem to tame. He's big and burly, like just about everyone else here. Tattoos cover almost every inch of his skin with the exception of his face. They both dress in standard black suits with guns at their hips.

"Are you in any pain?" Vinny asks suddenly. I turn to face him and he is indeed talking to me.

"What? No, I'm fine," I reply, turning back around. I look at Gio with furrowed brows and his one eye is open, peeking at Vinny curiously. Vinny's phone buzzes.

"If you're in pain we have all kinds of painkillers, over the counter and prescription," Vinny offers.

"I'm fine," I reiterate without looking at him. His phone buzzes again.

"Do you want lunch?" He asks.

"I just had breakfast," I answer, slowly becoming annoyed with his rapid line of questioning. His phone buzzes.

"Luca says-" he begins but I close the book and turn fully to face him.

"If Luca wants to say something to me, he can do it himself," I say, keeping my voice steady.

When I turn back around, Gio is sitting upright, with his elbows on his knees. His eyes are narrow as he looks me up and down. And then he laughs. Like full chest laughing.

"Dio questa ragazza è fantastica!" Gio exclaims.
(God this girl is great!)

"Ha una bocca abbastanza forte su di lei, questo è sicuro," Vinny grumbles.
(She's got quite a mouth on her that's for sure.)

"Cazzo," I say under my breath. But apparently I didn't say it quietly enough because Gio's laughing fit starts from square one.
(Dick.)

"She speaks fucking Italian!" Gio exclaims between laughs.

"Oh merda," Vinny says from the doorway, straightening out his blazer, "get up."
(Oh shit)

Gio quickly jumps to his feet and straightens out his suit. Not half a minute later Luca is in the doorway with his brows furrowed. My body stiffens at the sight of his obvious frustration and anger.

"Hey boss," the duo say.

"Go get us some lunch," Luca demands as he walks into the room. He doesn't even bother to look at them, his gaze is entirely fixated on me. I stay seated on the couch, hoping his anger isn't meant for me.

He sits down on the coffee table in front of me and reaches one of his ink covered hands towards my face. Once again I flinch away, and once again he is nothing but gentle. He simply cups my cheek and looks me in the eye.

"I'm sorry for having Vinny speak for me," he says in a hushed tone, "I was worried about you and I was in the middle of a meeting."

"Quick meeting, huh?" I roll my eyes and pull from his hand. He instantly grabs my chin and pulls my face so we are inches apart.

"I ended the meeting early so I could come down here and see you," he says simply, as though I should have inferred as much.

"Why did you do that?" I ask, searching his eyes for any hint of deception.

"I told you, I was worried," he states, once again as if I should already know the answer.

"Well I'm perfectly fine so you can go back to your important work," I tell him.

Luca's eyes narrow into slits and his grasp on my chin tightens, but not to the point of hurting me. He holds me there, stuck in his gaze, for what feels like forever.

"Alright we have some sandwiches!" Gio exclaims as he enters the room followed closely by Vinny.

Upon his presence in the room I pull away from Luca only for him to grab me by the hips and pull me onto his lap. His one arm wraps around both of mine, holding them against me. I wiggle around, trying to get out of his hold but this just causes Gio and Vinny to laugh.

"Se continui a muoverti così, non avrò altra scelta che piegarmi su questo angelo sul divano," Luca says in my ear, his voice husky and dripping with lust.
(If you keep moving like that I'll have no choice but to bend you over this couch, angel.)

My heart is racing and I can feel something stirring between my thighs at his words. His grip on me tightens and I still myself. With my back pressed to Luca's chest, Gio saunters over with the plates.

Before he can set them down, the power cuts off and the building goes dark. Luca stands abruptly but keeps a firm arm wrapped around my waist to steady me. All three men draw their guns and begin to stalk towards the doorway. Still holding on, Luca pulls me behind him, ensuring that I am blocked.

And then the explosion goes off.