Chapter 27

Gio and I bring Elle back inside as the sun begins to set. She nods off on my shoulder as we walk the halls but keeps jolting herself back awake.

We go to her room first and I quickly change her diaper and put on a fresh onesie. I gently lay her down in her crib and pull the blanket up over her. She grabs the new teddy bear I insisted Luca get for her and holds it close.

Mike awkwardly stands in the corner with Gio as I take care of her. Maybe I should just take over for him until Luca can decide on a nanny. I'll have to talk to Luca about that.

"Feed her in two hours and change her diaper then as well," I tell Mike who gives me a curt nod in response.

Gio and I continue through the house and stop at my room. With a little salute, he disappears down the hall. I step into my room and there is a big black box on the bed, similar to my first day here. I walk over and there is a note taped to the top of the box.

My Angel
Wear this and be ready by 7p.
I'm looking forward to our date.
Xx your Luca

My cheeks flush red as I read over his words. The note doesn't say much but every word makes my stomach flutter. I lift the lid of the box and my mouth drops open.

I lift the black satin dress from the box and hold it out to admire it. It's beautiful and simple and no doubt cost a fucking fortune.

There is a smaller velvet box underneath the dress. I lift that as well and open it to reveal a gorgeous necklace. A large ruby, framed by smaller diamonds sits on a delicate gold chain. I close the box and feel some sort of guilt. I swear I've seen this necklace before but I can't place it.

I shower away those thoughts, instead focusing on getting ready for this date. Once out of the shower, I blow dry my hair and apply some makeup. I'm not one to do a full face when I can avoid it so I stick to some light shadow, mascara and glossy lips.

I go into the closet and stare at the collection of underwear and lingerie in front of me. He picked out the dress, but I can pick out what goes underneath. I decide on a lacy black set that I put on before slipping the dress over my head. As I'm tightening the straps on my heels there is a knock on my door.

"Come in," I call out. I glance up as the door swings open to reveal Luca. He wears his normal suit but the tie is missing and the top two buttons of his shirt are undone.

"Wow," he says softly, his eyes roaming over me as I stand up. He crosses the room with inhuman speed and cups my cheek.

"You forgot something," he says with a small smile. I furrow my brows before remembering the necklace. I turn from his grip and grab the box from my bed. I turn back to him and hand him the box.

"I'm not good at putting them on myself," I admit to him. His smile only widens at this and he steps behind me.

He pushes my hair to one side and his fingers brush over my neck as he does this, making my body shiver under his rough hand. He clasps the necklace on and runs his fingers across the trail the chain takes across my neck.

"You're stunning," he says, taking my hand in his. He gently kisses my knuckles before placing his hand on my lower back.

We weave through the compound to the front doors where Gio is waiting with three other soldiers I don't recognize. Gio greets us with a smile and opens the doors. Two SUVs are running in the driveway.

"Why two?" I ask Luca.

"One for us. One to divert," he says simply. He leads me into one of the vehicles and slides into the seat next to me. Gio gets in the front and takes off.