Chapter 18

I'm woken to a blinding light. I sit up slightly in the bed and look over at the offending source, my bedroom door is being opened. I glance at the window and it is obviously the middle of the night.

Slowly, a shadow encroaches on my room and shuts the door behind them. I reach over immediately and flick on the bedside lamp.

Luca stands at the foot of my bed like a deer in headlights. He must have also been in bed because he's only wearing sweatpants and his hair is a mess. When I meet his blue eyes my heart clenches.

He's been crying.

"I didn't mean to wake you," he whispers. His voice is hoarse and strained.

"What's wrong?" I ask softly.

"I just- I needed to see you," he says, barely a whisper.

"Come here," I instruct, patting the bed next to me.

Luca climbs into the bed with me and leans against the headboard. He closes his eyes and takes a few deep breaths before looking at me again with fresh tears in his eyes.

"I'm so sorry," he says with a sigh.

"It's okay," I tell him as I push a few pieces of hair off his forehead.

"I failed the same mission twice," he whispers.

"You didn't fail anything," I assure him, letting my hand slide down to cup his cheek.

"It was the same as the last time," his voice breaks and tears begin to fall.

Without thinking I wrap my arms around his neck and pull him close. His arms wrap around my waist and he pulls me even closer. His body shakes with sobs. I run my hand up and down his back as he cries.

He probably doesn't cry often. And when he does, I doubt he has someone to hold him. He just lost his brother, he deserves comfort. Especially since he provides it to me daily.

"They got fucking Enzo," he sobs out.

I don't know how to respond so I just keep rubbing small circles on his back.

"They did it again. Just like last time," he sobs, "they waited for us at the same fucking church for the same fucking reason. My whole fucking family."

I hold him tightly until his breathing regulates. He slowly pulls back from the embrace but only enough that we can face each other.

"I've lost so many people," he admits, "I- I don't know what I would do if anything happened to you."

I wipe my thumbs across his cheeks to dismiss the stray tears. Is this the care that Maria had told me about?

"Nothing happened to me," I remind him softly.

Luca shakes his head and pulls away completely, laying down on his back.

"I could have lost you," he whispers.

"But you didn't," I remind him as I tentatively place my hand on his chest, "I'm right here."

He looks from my hand back up to my face and meets my eye. I've never seen someone look so broken, not even myself.

"You make me believe there is a God," he states.

I had to have heard that wrong.

I furrow my brow, "what?"

"You truly are an angel," he says, as though that would explain his previous statement.

"You need to get some rest," I decide to change the subject. But it's still true.

Luca nods slowly as he peels back the blankets. He climbs out of the bed and walks quietly to the door. He hesitates and turns back to look at me.

"Would it be okay if-" he starts but I already know what he's going to ask.

"Of course," I cut him off.

He smiles slightly and returns to his spot in the bed. I flick off the lamp and lay back down. Luca heats the whole bed, almost negating the need for a blanket.

"Piccolo angelo?" He softly asks. I hum in response.

"You can say no," he says, "but can I hold you tonight?"

My stomach erupts with butterflies and my heart races.

I inch closer to him and lay my head on his chest. His muscles tense slightly in surprise but soon his whole body relaxes. He wraps both strong arms around me and places a chaste kiss on the top of my head.

"Good night il mio angelo," he whispers.

"Good night Luca," I respond.

I cuddle into his warmth and drift towards sleep. Very quietly, and likely under the impression I'm asleep, Luca whispers, "ti amo."

(I love you)