Chapter 46

I wake up early, filled with nervous energy. Alice told Luca and I that we should spend the night before our wedding in separate rooms so we did. But being away from him, even for this short while, has not helped with my nerves.

I'm getting married today.

To the most amazing man I've ever met. A man who looks at me like I'm the only girl in the world; who would put his life on the line if it meant keeping me safe. A man who loves his niece as his own and goes above and beyond to keep her happy, knowing he will do the same for our own kids one day.

I can't help but wonder what it is I have to offer him. Sure, I'm pretty but there are far more beautiful women out there. But somehow he chose me. And I'll always be grateful for that.

I pad over to my bathroom and turn on the shower. I step into the hot water and let my muscle memory clean me. Turning off the water, I grab a fluffy towel and wrap it around my body. I return to my room, my eyes going wide at the scene in front of me.

Two women are hastily setting up multiple tables with makeup and hair products. Patrice is unzipping the garment bag that holds my dress and turns to look at me over her shoulder with a grin.

"Good morning," she chirps, grabbing a flute of champagne from a tray and offering it to me.

"Good morning," I reply slowly, still a bit taken back.

"They are going to do your hair and makeup," she says, gesturing to the busy women, "the baby too, the nanny is bringing her up soon."

"Thanks," I reply, taking the glass from her finally.

"I hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of picking out some undergarments," she says, shuffling across the room to grab a large white box.

I follow after her and take it from her hands, placing it on the unmade bed. I lift the top to reveal delicate white lace with small diamonds and pearls. It's somehow both innocent and sexy.

"It's perfect," I smile at her and she smiles back.

"Mommy," Elle whining from the door pulls my attention.

I smile and crouch down, extending my arms. She toddles over with a half toothed grin. I pull her into my arms and she hugs my neck.

"Put this on," Patrice says as she hands me a robe. I nod and carry Elle with me into the bathroom. I sit her on the counter as I replace my towel with the silk dressing gown.

"We don't have all day," Alice teases from the bedroom. I laugh and bring Elle back into the room.

One of the women pushes me towards a chair and I sit down. She is instantly at work, combing out the tangles in my hair. The other woman lifts Elle off my lap and places her in another chair to work on her hair as well.

Even though I'm nervous beyond comprehension, I feel like a damned princess right now. A gorgeous gown awaits me while people fawn over my hair and makeup, offering me champagne and small pastries. The two women poke and prod at me until they are satisfied.

When they move away, I'm able to look at myself in the mirror. Shit, I look great. The makeup isn't too dramatic but highlights my face perfectly. My hair is pulled into a low bun with curls precisely fallen out to frame my face.

"You're gorgeous darling," Patrice says with a smile, lifting her champagne glass.

"Così prezioso," Alice coos.
(So precious)

I turn to follow her gaze and smile. Elle, in her adorable little dress, is staring wide eyed up at my gown. This is the absolute longest I've ever seen her stay still, as though she's entranced.