Chapter 28

The drive back to the compound has my heart pounding and my leg bouncing. Gio looks at me in the rear view mirror every so often but neither of us say a word.

Luca got shot and Gio won't tell me any more. Not where he was shot. Not how serious it is. Just that the doctor is handling it.

I don't wait for Gio to open the door when we pull up. I need to see him; see Luca. I bound inside to find Antonio cradling Elle in the foyer.

"Where is he?" I demand with my arms crossed.

"Living room," he nods towards the doorway, "can't go in yet though. Doctor is working."

I nod and Antonio holds Elle out to me. I take her in my arms and she rests her head on my shoulder. I pace around the foyer and none of my thoughts fully make sense, there's just too many of them. Soldiers come and go but I don't even acknowledge them.

"You can go in if you'd like," Gio finally says as he holds his arms out to take the baby. I hand her over and rush to the room.

Luca is laying on the couch with his shirt off while a grey haired man inspects his bloody shoulder that has been stitched up. Luca's sun kissed skin is an unsettling pale, an obvious sign he's lost blood.

"Angelo," he smiles at me.

He tries to sit up but the other man, who I'm assuming to be the doctor, pushes him back down. The man removes his gloved hands and digs through a small bag. He wraps Luca's shoulder in gauze and tapes it in place. I wait until he takes a few steps away to storm over to Luca.

I grab his face and press my lips against his. His lips are so soft against mine and we move in perfect synchronization. His tongue brushes against my bottom lip and I pull away, letting my hands drop to my sides.

"I'm so glad you're okay," he says as he reaches out to tuck away some stray hair. I swat at his hand which causes him to frown deeply.

"Sei un coglione," I tell him.
(You're an asshole)

"What did I do?" he asks with furrowed brows.

"You told me not to worry and then you got shot!" I exclaim.

He sits up fully and extends his hand to me. With a huff I take his hand and sit on the couch next to him.

"I didn't mean to worry you," he says softly.

"I told you it wasn't safe," I reply quietly.

"I know," he nods as he runs circles on my hand with his thumb.

"Please don't do that again," I reply, looking up to his sapphire eyes.

"Do what?" he asks, "take you on a date?"

"Get shot you cazzo!" I exclaim.

"I assure you that was not my intention when I took you out tonight," he replies.

I don't respond, I just pull my hand from his and cross my arms. I don't know why I'm so upset right now. He's fine, just a bullet to the shoulder. But my mind keeps running through all the what if's.

What if Gio hadn't warned us? What if he hadn't brought his men with him? What if he let me bring my gun? What if the bullet was just a few inches lower?

"Don't be angry with me," he says as he cups my cheek, "per favore il mio angelo."
(Please)

"I'm not angry," I tell him, "I was just scared."

"I will always protect you," he says with finality.

"Then who the hell is going to protect you?" I exclaim more than ask.

His brows lift, "were you really that worried?"

"You got shot and no one would tell me anything," I reply, "of course I was worried."

"I'm sorry," he shakes his head, "non voglio mai preoccupare."
(I never want to worry you)

"You owe me a date," I tease, trying to lighten the mood.

"I'll take you on as many dates as you'll let me," he replies with a grin.

I can't help but smile as my cheeks flush. Even after he's been shot, he's still worried about me; he's still flirting with me.

"Can I stay with you tonight?" he asks.

"I guess someone has to nurse you back to health," I reply with a sigh although I'm smiling.

He smiles brightly and stands, pulling me with him. He leaves his bloodied clothes strewn on the living room floor. We walk hand in hand to my room.

As he shuts the door, I remember what I have on under the dress. I remember that I was going to make a bold move after a few drinks. But it's not right anymore.

"What's wrong?" Luca asks as I hesitate in the doorway of the closet.

"Nothing," I reply simply and offer him a small smile.

But he narrows his eyes and strides closer. He grasps my chin and forces me to look up at him. His eyes scan every inch of me, from my hair down to my heels. A smirk crosses his face and he meets my eyes again.

"You got dressed up for me," he states.

"You told me to wear this," I remind him.

He leans down so his lips brush my ear, "underneath the dress."

He stands fully with a smirk on his face. My cheeks flare and I try to look away but his grip won't let me.

"Who said it was for you?" I retort. This only makes him grin wider.

"Then who's it for?" he asks.

"Myself," I reply simply as I pull from his grip. He laughs lowly and I go into the closet slightly flustered.

I take off my bra and toss on some sleep shorts and a tank top. I pull my hair into a ponytail as I walk back into the bedroom.

Luca is laying on his back with his arms under his head wearing his boxers. Only his boxers.

"Are you going to get pajamas?" I ask as I cross the room to turn off the overhead light.

"Do you want me to?" he asks.

I don't, I definitely don't. So I opt to not respond and just climb into the bed next to him. He radiates warmth that I close in on.

I turn over on my side with my back to him. I'm pretty sure that I lack the self control needed to not do anything inappropriate.

He just got shot and all I can think about is how perfect his lips feel against my own and how his slightly calloused hands would feel on my body.

Luca apparently doesn't care about this internal struggle as he presses his chest to my back and wraps an arm around me. He kisses the top of my head and I practically melt into his body.

"Grazie," he whispers against my hair.

"For what?" I ask.

"For being here with me," he clarifies. It's the simplest thing that he's grateful for and it makes me smile.

I don't know what to say so I don't say anything at all. Instead I just press closer to him.

"I love you il mio angelo," he whispers.

My heart throbs against my ribs and my breath hitches as I whisper, "I love you too Luca."