New Facts

When Niall awoke the next morning he felt something soft under his head. For a second he thought it was a pillow but then it rose and fell back down and there was a constant, soothing, beat. Understanding dawning Niall relaxed into Liam’s chest further fully content to just lay here until the other two woke up.

The slight movement Niall made as he shifted into Liam was enough to inform him of a rather uncomfortable feeling. Curious Niall shifted once more before freezing as he figured it out. Oh no, no, no, no, no this couldn’t be happening. It couldn’t be true. OK so maybe he hadn’t… done… it in a couple of days but… now? In his sleep? Of all the embarrassing, babyish things that had happened so far this one was at the top of the list.

Niall felt humiliated. Yes he’d messed his nappy before but never had he done so in his sleep. Actually Niall avoided messing his nappy as much as possible – still found it the absolute worst part of this whole age play thing. The fact that he’d done it in his sleep was… it was… he couldn’t even describe it.

“Baby?” Liam asked as he reached out and turned Niall towards him. Seeing the tears slowly running down his cheeks he grew concerned, “What’s wrong?”

Niall didn’t answer; he was too embarrassed. Instead he just turned into Liam and cried eventually hiccupping out, “I’m sorry”

“Sorry for what?” Zayn asked as he sat up having been awoken by his baby’s crying.

“I didn’t mean to” Niall cried.

Liam and Zayn were confused. Niall had just woken up – they all had. What could Niall have done? Or what did Niall think that he did?

“Did you have a nightmare love?” Liam asked.

Niall shook his head. He had slept really well actually. It had been warm and safe laying in between Liam and Zayn and if he could he would do it every night if he could.

“What’s the matter?” Zayn asked as he made to pick Niall up, that’s when he felt it, “Oh baby”

“What?” Liam asked concerned.

Zayn looked at Liam over Niall’s shoulder as he stood up, “He messed his nappy” he said simply.

“Oh love” Liam soothed as he came over and took Niall from Zayn and into the front room, “It’s alright”

Niall just continued to cry as Liam changed him. He was vaguely aware of Zayn cleaning up the TV room and Harry and Louis coming down to the kitchen but it was all unimportant.

“There sweetheart” Liam cooed as he taped Niall’s new nappy shut leaving the lad in just that, “I bet that feels better now doesn’t it?”

Niall did feel better but that didn’t mean he wasn’t embarrassed. Niall felt vulnerable and he didn’t like it; it was never safe to be vulnerable. He had the very strong desire to just hold his Stitch and curl up into his Mummy. There was a large part of Niall that wanted to suppress that desire, to push it down and move on. But there was a small part of him that seemed to be over ruling him right now because once Liam was done Niall gave the best pitiful look he could and reached his arms up.

Liam understood the silent gesture for what it was and gladly scooped up his little boy. “What do you say we get you dressed and then eat some breakfast hm?”

Niall didn’t really care one way or the other what they did so long as he could cling to his Mummy.

“How are things?” Zayn asked as Liam came upstairs with Niall in his arms.

Liam just smiled, “We have a clingy baby this morning”

“Oh?” Zayn asked.

“Yeah, would you mind holding him while I get some clothes for the two of us?” Liam asked.