Can't Sleep

Part 10
***
You kicked the covers off and turned onto your side for what felt like the hundredth time that night. You'd been trying to fall asleep for hours now, but your mind seemed too awake to try for sleep. The covers were too hot when you had them on, but the room was too cold without them. You tried counting sheep, turning your ceiling fan on, even changed into lighter pajamas, but no matter what you tried, you just couldn't seem to fall asleep.

You sighed and stared up at the ceiling fan for a few seconds watching the blades spin,before finally just sitting up and rubbing your face. There was no way you were going to be getting to sleep any time soon. Normally on nights like this, you would go down to the gym for a few hours, but you really did need to sleep tonight. The team was supposed to be doing test runs tomorrow on the time machine and going through other kinds of planning. It was a big day, so you needed a sharp mind to be able to focus. Your body didn't seem to care though.

Since going to the gym was out of the question, you decided to go to the kitchen instead for a glass of water and a sleeping pill. You tried not to rely on them too much to help you sleep, but tonight was different. You couldn't just sleep until 1:00 pm tomorrow and nap a bunch during the rest of the day.

So, you threw your feet over the edge of your bed and stepped out into the hall. For a moment, you stopped and looked at Clint's door again, wondering if he'd managed to get to sleep yet. Clint had always been hot and cold with sleeping. He was either out the whole night and couldn't be woken up, or he was awake and restless. After the day he had though, you thought for sure he'd be knocked out.

You continued on your way, heading into the kitchen and began to dig through the different cabinets to find some sleeping pills. You found the bottle but were extremely disappointed to find how light it was when you picked it up. Upon opening it, you found it empty.

You groaned in frustration and took the bottle to the trash can, dropping it inside before going back to see if there was another bottle laying around somewhere else. After about five minutes of searching, you just gave up and assumed there wasn't another bottle. So much for taking sleeping pills. You still went and got yourself some water though, hoping that might somehow help you to sleep.

After taking a few sips from the glass, you emptied the rest of the water in the sink and set the glass in there to take care of it tomorrow. With your water gone, you go to head back to your room, but a faint light in the living room makes you stop. Cautiously, you make your way down the short hallway to the living room, wanting to check and see who else was up.

It didn't take you long at all to recognize who it was. Sitting on the window sill that overlooked the city was Clint. His face was lit up by the dim light of his phone, and he had a downcast expression on his face. Within seconds of you entering the living room area and spotting him, his eyes darted up to meet yours. You'd been really quiet, but Clint was trained to pick up on small movements, even when it was dark.

"(Y/n)?" He mumbles, clicking his phone off. His face gets covered by darkness once again, but you can still make out his shape and some of his facial features from the moonlight shining in through the window.

"Hey." You say back, heart fluttering in your chest as you give him a soft smile. "You can't sleep?" You ask him, not wanting an awkward silence to form between you two.

He nods a little and looks back out the window, the moonlight showing off the dark circles around his eyes. "Yeah. Just can't seem to get comfortable. I took a sleeping pill, but it doesn't seem to be working to well." He says, making you internally hum. Only Clint would put an empty bottle of pills back in the cupboard. "Why are you up?" He asks, looking back to you.

You take that as an opportunity to move more into the room, walking slowly so you wouldn't accidents bump into anything. "I can't sleep either." You say simply, sitting on the sill and facing him. He moves his knees in slightly to make more room for you. "I was going to try taking a sleeping pill, but it looks like you got to it first." You say, trying to joke around with him, though he didn't seem to pick up on it.